New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

"Product Registration" for what?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Just64

Just64 is on a distinguished road

I have bought a macbook pro with 3 years AppleCare.
What is the sense of do a Product Registration of the mbp with my apple id?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

???

The added on Applecare must be registered to be honored.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Just64

Yes, but what i mean is if maybe in 2 year i use the applecare protection to replace the batterie, in what point the apple id take part of it?
Apple will send to my mail of apple id the supporting?
They will send anything to my mail?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

You do need to register to validate. Bit late in two years and it will not be recognised. Same if TechTool Deluxe comes with AppleCare. As AppleCare is usually sold by the reseller, Apple may not have your details without registration.
QUOTE Thanks
Just64

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
You do need to register to validate. Bit late in two years and it will not be recognised. Same if TechTool Deluxe comes with AppleCare. As AppleCare is usually sold by the reseller, Apple may not have your details without registration.
So... ofter too 2 or more year the registration by apple id is uselles?
If in 1 year or so i want to upgrade my laptop, and i sell this one to buy other one, and the other guy who bought mine use applecare, he must use my apple id? I have to give my apple id to him? Apple will send a bill to my apple id or a resume of work done in the mbp?

Im realy noob at apple´s stuff, thx for the patience
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

My guess is that a lot of products sit around for a while so by validating you give advise that it is off the self and warranty is running otherwise how will manufacturer know that the unit is not longer on the shelf. Also they like it so they can send u mail outs but i think u can opt out of that service. Seems to me a better deal that arguing about warranty issues for a 13 month old item that u bought new 11 months ago. Thats assuming you didn't buy extended warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
Just64

And what about this?

Quote:
If in 1 year or so i want to upgrade my laptop, and i sell this one to buy other one, and the other guy who bought mine use applecare, he must use my apple id? I have to give my apple id to him? Apple will send a bill to my apple id or a resume of work done in the mbp?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just64 View Post
And what about this?
No, the AppleCare warranty is specific to the machine's serial number and is transferable to the new owner. Your Apple ID is simply your account with Apple - when you enter it, you're just giving Apple your contact information. If the machine is transferred to another user and they go to act upon the warranty, they will simply get his or her contact info at that time.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just64 View Post
Yes, but what i mean is if maybe in 2 year i use the applecare protection to replace the batterie,
I know that this is a hypothetical example you mentioned above...but unless a battery is defective & it can be proven to be defective...the Applecare warranty does not cover batteries that wear out simply due to use.

Batteries are a consumable item...and not covered under the warranty.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Just64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
No, the AppleCare warranty is specific to the machine's serial number and is transferable to the new owner. Your Apple ID is simply your account with Apple - when you enter it, you're just giving Apple your contact information. If the machine is transferred to another user and they go to act upon the warranty, they will simply get his or her contact info at that time.
Ok, this clarifies a lot, thx!

2 more:
1 -When i sell my mbp i have to make a "Product UNregistration" so the new owner can registr with his apple id, or he can registre to his apple id directly.

2 -When the new owner use the apple care, my apple id, dont take of the opperations with the apple care of the new owner? They dont send me information about the apple care is beging used?

(Im asking all this because is the first time i have my personal information in the internet. I have never done something like thi before, not even pay bills over internet)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

You simply transfer Applecare when you sell or give away the MacBook Pro. Ownership transfers to him and you are out of the picture. Have a read of this:-

Apple - Support - AppleCare - FAQs
QUOTE Thanks
Just64

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
You simply transfer Applecare when you sell or give away the MacBook Pro. Ownership transfers to him and you are out of the picture. Have a read of this:-

Apple - Support - AppleCare - FAQs
So, if i not transfer Applecare to the new owner, he cant use it, can he?

BTW, i have printed "AppleCare Protection PlanTerms and Conditions", to read at university, thx.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

So, if i not transfer Applecare to the new owner, he cant use it, can he?

Why on earth would you do that? Once you sell/trade/dispose or give away the MBP Applecare is no longer any good to you. Include it in your price as a good selling point.
QUOTE Thanks
ih8pc

ih8pc has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb

You don't really have to register it. As long as you have a receipt showing you bought the Applecare with the receipt of your product, you'll be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pc View Post
You don't really have to register it. As long as you have a receipt showing you bought the Applecare with the receipt of your product, you'll be fine.
I wouldn't take that chance. If you lose the receipt or the print on the receipt just fades to un-readable, you are up the creek without any proof.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dented mbp, possible to get hardcase for it? | loud, hot, macbook »