New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

major battery issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

B.Shniz

B.Shniz is on a distinguished road

i'm afraid that my macbook pro has lost a very significant amount of battery life. i when i take it out of a full charge, i only have just over 3 hours of life, and thats with no sound, and half lit screen. then once i open a few apps it drops to mid 2 hours. Im worried that there is something wrong with the battery. ive done apple's tips for optimizing battery (charge, fully drain, fully recharge) and it didnt work. but then i looked at the widget that has specs on your computer, and found that i when my computer is "charged" (and green light), i am only at 85% battery power.

what is going on? thanks guys! also, i still have the apple care still active so would i be able to get it fixed if i cant do so myself? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
B.Shniz

any ideas here?
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Go get the free Coconut Battery app (coconutBattery 2.6.5 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker) and tell us what it reports back on your battery.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

How about the SMC - have u tried resetting that here
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Shniz View Post
i'm afraid that my macbook pro has lost a very significant amount of battery life. i when i take it out of a full charge, i only have just over 3 hours of life, and thats with no sound, and half lit screen. then once i open a few apps it drops to mid 2 hours. Im worried that there is something wrong with the battery. ive done apple's tips for optimizing battery (charge, fully drain, fully recharge) and it didnt work. but then i looked at the widget that has specs on your computer, and found that i when my computer is "charged" (and green light), i am only at 85% battery power.

what is going on? thanks guys! also, i still have the apple care still active so would i be able to get it fixed if i cant do so myself? thanks
How old is your MacBook Pro & battery?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
B.Shniz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
Go get the free Coconut Battery app (coconutBattery 2.6.5 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker) and tell us what it reports back on your battery.

Current Battery Charge: 4726 mAH
Maximum Battery Charge: 4726 mAH
-100%

Current Battery Capacity: 4726 mAH
Original Battey Capacity: 5500 mAH
-85%

Addition info:

Battery-Loadcycles: 141
Age of your mac: 14 months
Charger connected: Yes
Battery is charging: No

**at the green light

-what do i make of this? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
andr3wkim

andr3wkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M

That is strange. You can do what Collin Bl suggest which is resetting the SMC (Shutdown, plug in power adapter, press (left) Shift-Control-Option along with the power button, wait for at least 5 seconds, and finally turn the computer back on.

You may want to calibrate the battery as well, if you haven't done so. This will reset the battery's sensor and "correctly" display the current status of the battery's condition 1. Charge battery until green light is on
2. Take off the power adapter and start draining the battery
3. Once you get the "low battery" warning, save your work and shut down
4. Leave your computer off for at least 4 hours (to ensure ALL of the battery charge is drained)
5. Plug back in the power adapter and start charging (I believe according to Apple, it is better NOT to use the computer while charging during this step).

Good luck and let us know!

13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is nothing "wrong" with the battery. It's been used for the last 14 months (or less) and you probably have never calibrated it (or not very often).

Calibrate it per the following: Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance
Your directions are listed in the second section.

Do it about once a week for the next month. This should bring back some of the batteries 'Capacity'. Mine was sitting at 70% of original a month ago. After 3 calibrations, it is now back up to 95% of original.

Then change to once a month to keep your battery running along at it's maximum potential.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
B.Shniz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
There is nothing "wrong" with the battery. It's been used for the last 14 months (or less) and you probably have never calibrated it (or not very often).

Calibrate it per the following: Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance
Your directions are listed in the second section.

Do it about once a week for the next month. This should bring back some of the batteries 'Capacity'. Mine was sitting at 70% of original a month ago. After 3 calibrations, it is now back up to 95% of original.

Then change to once a month to keep your battery running along at it's maximum potential.
yea i never knew about the calibration thing till the other week. im gonna do what you said about doing it more often until it starts going up then just do it to maintain.

is that basically the only option then? is resetting your SMC harmful to your computer or anything? like ruining your warranty or anything?

and what are these "cycles"? is like a full charge or something? i've read that i dont think i should have it plugged in all the time when it's fully charged, but should i not do full charges or something?
sorry for all the questions! thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
B.Shniz

any ideas on ^^^^
QUOTE Thanks
B.Shniz

so what can i do to make my battery better?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wiping drive w/o restore discs | Cannot fit hard drive inside after taking out - MacBook 10.4.11 »