New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

so is there ANY way to put a video card in macbook yet?

Thread Closed

blackflag91

blackflag91 is an unknown at this point

So i just god COD4 for my macbook and it runs OK but only on Junk settings and the cutscenes lag beyond belief. Now first of all i payed 1000 dollars for this thing in 06, only one year before COD4 came out, for the money i should get more than enough power to run COD4 on optimal settings, it only shows that the people who designed this thing were REALLY stingy. second of all the fact that there is no option to upgrade the graphics is just ridiculous. If there is ANY video card that somehow works for macbook or a way to make one work please inform me. If not then this is just adding to my list of reasons to switch back to PC, seriously for the price i paid for this i could probably buy two PCs that run both Modern Warfare games better.
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

If you want to play games on your machine, then a higher end PC is the answer. As to your question, I've been keeping my eyes open for any kind of video card upgrade for my MBP, and so far I haven't seen anything out there.
wingcommander40

wingcommander40 will become famous soon enough

'06 Macbook has crappy intel GMA for video chip, you have your answer.

Vanilla Macbooks, although they are great notebooks for basic office/multimedia stuff, are not gaming machines. It's pretty obvious for anyone the least bit familiar with computers that you'll never be able to run any recent games at reasonable settings on them. Same could be said about PC notebooks in the same range.

Don't be mad at Apple or at your computer, just be mad at yourself for not buying the right computer for your needs.

"The only 'intuitive' interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned." -Bruce Ediger

MPB 13" (Mid-2009) : C2D 2.26GHz | 2GB DDR3 | 160GB
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Macs are not gaming rigs. Especially a MacBook.

vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Do you honestly expect that the time at which you purchase a machine determines what you can do with a machine? With that logic, I should be able to play Crysis because I got my machine after it was released. The fact that you're logic for purchasing a machine was based solely on monetary value and not on system specs is not Apple's fault.

And, because I would like to see this, please show me what two machines you can purchase for under $1000 (combined) that will play both Modern Warfare games.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflag91 View Post
So i just god COD4 for my macbook and it runs OK but only on Junk settings and the cutscenes lag beyond belief. Now first of all i payed 1000 dollars for this thing in 06, only one year before COD4 came out, for the money i should get more than enough power to run COD4 on optimal settings, it only shows that the people who designed this thing were REALLY stingy. second of all the fact that there is no option to upgrade the graphics is just ridiculous. If there is ANY video card that somehow works for macbook or a way to make one work please inform me. If not then this is just adding to my list of reasons to switch back to PC, seriously for the price i paid for this i could probably buy two PCs that run both Modern Warfare games better.
It's really nobody's fault but you're own, it's well known that Mac's aren't strong in games, although should you choose to stick with Mac, and play games, I strongly recommend the MacBook Pro.

Mine plays COD MW 2 without any probs on medium settings...

Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Apple already underclocks their ATI cards in the MacBook Pro's in order to deal with heat issues. I seriously doubt they'd allow users to mod their video cards in any way, shape or form. Can you imagine the idiots lining up in the Apple stores wondering why their logic boards melted ?

"But I only overclocked the thing to go 5 times faster.. It's not like it was say, 10 times faster ! "
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

In what world can you change the video card on a laptop? maybe... MAYBE if it wasn't part of the board, you might be able to upgrade it... however that isn't the case in many low end laptops (re: macbook).

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
blackflag91

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingcommander40 View Post
'06 Macbook has crappy intel GMA for video chip, you have your answer.

Vanilla Macbooks, although they are great notebooks for basic office/multimedia stuff, are not gaming machines. It's pretty obvious for anyone the least bit familiar with computers that you'll never be able to run any recent games at reasonable settings on them. Same could be said about PC notebooks in the same range.

Don't be mad at Apple or at your computer, just be mad at yourself for not buying the right computer for your needs.
most PCs under 1000 can play COD4.

the good news is with some tweaking of the graphics i can get COD4 to run reasonably well without too much lag, im lucky that its a very tweak able game.
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Um... no... the logic board has an nvidia integrated solution soldered to it. If you wanted to play games, especially CoD, then you should have gotten a desktop, bonehead! Even so called "gaming laptops" are stupid investments, because they're laptops. At work we talk about this all the time. They have Asus machines (and some others, but Asus is the way to go) that have an NVIDIA chip with 1GB of GDR3 RAM available to them, but it's still a laptop... why don't you invest in a nice black friday special deal and get a quad core desktop with a 1GB nvidia card in it for pretty cheap. Heck, it's not even black friday yet, and best buy is selling an HP with a core 2 quad and NVIDIA with 1GB for like 550 or 600, I can't remember.
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflag91 View Post
most PCs under 1000 can play COD4.

That's not what you originally said though. You said you could buy TWO PCs for the price of your Mac that could play COD4 at high settings. Please show us a PC that costs $500 that lets you play COD4 with the graphics cranked up.

June 2007
July 2009
blackflag91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
That's not what you originally said though. You said you could buy TWO PCs for the price of your Mac that could play COD4 at high settings. Please show us a PC that costs $500 that lets you play COD4 with the graphics cranked up.
my friend had a laptop that ran MW2 quite nicely on medium settings, it was way under 1000, maybe i was exagerating with the 500 dollar thing. but what the other guy said that most PCs at the same priceline as a macbook arent capable which just not true
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Care to provide a make and model? What you have told us is based on anecdotal evidence and without a make and model, it's hard to believe that really cheap computers can play those games really well.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Care to provide a make and model? What you have told us is based on anecdotal evidence and without a make and model, it's hard to believe that really cheap computers can play those games really well.
The truth is there aren't any. Anytime you start comparing a PC notebook to a Mac notebook and the specs for the PC are the same as or near what the Mac has, you can bet the price range is almost the same.

I've done extensive shopping around (even in military exchange outlets where prices are more competitive) and have compared top of the line Sony, HP, and Dell notebooks to a MacBook Pro. There's very little difference in price and the MBP has a nice solid aluminum body which most of the others do not have.

Regards.
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I think we already established that the OP exaggerated and that notebooks are not ideal for gaming. No need to continue grilling him.

If you seriously want to game make your own gaming rig. I know for sure you can make a Windows gaming rig for under 1k to play games. You can probably make one for less even, but there will be sacrifices.

There are actually notebooks where you "upgrade" the GPU. It's one of those DYI gaming notebooks, however the selection is very limiting.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Thread Closed

« Logo Mod for Macbook Pro? | Would this work - Partitioning my HDD. »