New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Apple support, Not that supportive.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lovely Luke

Lovely Luke is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I already posted this over at the apple support forums, but there hasn't been anybody willing/able to help. I also can't find an email address on the apple support website ( and didn't those ads go on about excellent customer service?)

I thought the experts here might be slightly more helpful.

Thanks a lot guys:

Ok, so for the past few days I've been having a lot of problems with my macbook. I don't recall updating it, or downloading anything suspicious around the time it began to act up.

I suppose I should just list the problems below. They all started at once.

When Starting up iweb, I get a dialogue box saying that it can't open file "null"
if I close it up and start it again, it all works fine, but this happens every time I turn on the mac.

Sometimes, when I choose itunes from the dock, it tells me that itunes cannot be found. If I go into the music folder in finder, it's right there, and if I click on it there, it starts up.

Both of these are just (very annoying) inconveniences, but the next two issues are seriously problematic.

My mac will no longer install things. It seems like the installer program has gone missing. If I double click on a file to install it, mac opens up disc utility, and even through that, I can see the exact file needed to install it, but when I click on that it asks me to select the program I want to use.

also, when I click the "software update..." button in the apple menu, nothing happens. I updated to the most recent version through system preferences after the problems started to see if it would help, but it didn't help at all.

My warranty is up in about two months, so I'd very much like to get this sorted, an if I need a replacement, to get one before that runs out!

Thanks a lot guys.
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

If you're told iTunes cannot be found, you should actually look for it in the applications folder, not the music folder, this is where the music is stored.

But looking at the issues you're having, I would back-up any important files you have, and reinstall your OS.
Or take it in, and really firmly but gently advize them to help you, otherwise you'll take other steps.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Apple - How to Contact Us

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Lovely Luke

Lovely Luke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I can't find a contact email on that page or any page that it links to. Not for general problems anyway (other than for mobileme, itunes or quicktime issues)

I'm probably just blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur3mac
If you're told iTunes cannot be found, you should actually look for it in the applications folder, not the music folder, this is where the music is stored.

But looking at the issues you're having, I would back-up any important files you have, and reinstall your OS.
Or take it in, and really firmly but gently advize them to help you, otherwise you'll take other steps.
Yeah, I meant the applications folder. There aren't any apple stores in Ireland, and I've started backing stuff up. I think I'll just have to try re-installing. I hope that sorts the problems.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'd try booting from your original disk first (while holding C) - In the Utilities menu open Disk Utility and run a repair disk.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

For the Installer thing - go to /System/Library/CoreServices and see if the Installer is somewhere in that folder.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« keyboard replaced, battery installed, still not working | WD Scorpio Blue in MBP mid 2009 »