Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Aug 10, 2009
    Posts
    14
    Would this work - Partitioning my HDD.
    Hey, Right at this moment I have two partitions on my Mac.
    Mac - 2gb remaining
    Storage - 120gb remaining.

    I want no partitions, just one space to store everything on..
    I cant be bothered putting everything on a external HDD and formatting, so would this work:

    1. I install Leopard onto 'Storage'.
    2. I transfer all my stuff from 'Mac' to 'Storage'.
    3. I use disk utility and delete my 'Mac' Partition.
    4. Expand my 'Storage' Partition.

    Would this work?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Sur3Mac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 03, 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,563
    Specs:
    Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ
    No, that would not work.
    You cannot delete a partition without destroying what's on the other one.

    If you have an external device you can clone your OS on, I would suggest you use "Super Duper" to do so, and then repartition your HDD.

    After that you can restore your OS on the targeted HDD.

    But remember, there's no non-destructive way to repartition any drive in Disk Util.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Aug 10, 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Sur3Mac View Post
    No, that would not work.
    You cannot delete a partition without destroying what's on the other one.

    If you have an external device you can clone your OS on, I would suggest you use "Super Duper" to do so, and then repartition your HDD.

    After that you can restore your OS on the targeted HDD.

    But remember, there's no non-destructive way to repartition any drive in Disk Util.
    Thanks for the reply,
    How do i repartition and restore my OS?
    Once i clone the OS by Super Duper.

  4. #4

    Sur3Mac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 03, 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,563
    Specs:
    Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ
    I have never had to do this myself, but I believe super duper clones your OS to an image.
    In Disk Utility you can choose Restore and then choose a source and destination and then click restore.

    For the partitioning, that's also in Disk Utility, just choose the partition tab, choose target drive and in your case you don't have to designate space and amount of partitions.

    It's actually really simple once you get the hang of it.

    Good luck...

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Aug 10, 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Sur3Mac View Post
    I have never had to do this myself, but I believe super duper clones your OS to an image.
    In Disk Utility you can choose Restore and then choose a source and destination and then click restore.

    For the partitioning, that's also in Disk Utility, just choose the partition tab, choose target drive and in your case you don't have to designate space and amount of partitions.

    It's actually really simple once you get the hang of it.

    Good luck...
    Thanks for that!

  6. #6

    Sur3Mac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 03, 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,563
    Specs:
    Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ
    Likewise..

  7. #7

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,466
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    You can't have "no" partitions. At least not if you want data on the drive.

    How did you get two partitions - using BootCamp Assistant?
    If so, go back into BootCamp Assistant and use it to restore the drive to a single partition.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Aug 10, 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    You can't have "no" partitions. At least not if you want data on the drive.

    How did you get two partitions - using BootCamp Assistant?
    If so, go back into BootCamp Assistant and use it to restore the drive to a single partition.
    Im not sure how I got two partitions a mate did it for me,
    If i use BootCamp asistance and use it to restore the drive to a single partition, what will happen to the second parition?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Partitioning my hdd
    By Minimadj in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM
  2. Would this work - Partitioning my HDD.
    By J-Mak in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 07:06 AM
  3. Partitioning External HDD
    By kaoticsolja in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 09:46 PM
  4. Need help on partitioning an external HDD
    By Nor Cal Nomad in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-28-2008, 01:30 AM
  5. Partitioning HFS+ HDD
    By PMatos in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 03:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •