New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

External and Internal HD for MBP 15" 2.4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

besdayz

besdayz is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
first time poster. I have a late 2008 unibody mbp 15" and i'm considering eSata drive external hd. My questions:

1 what type of expresscard gives the least trouble with this unit and supports the fastest possible transfer. I have been reading about Sonnet tempo pro card but it seems a bit steep, although very good. others report some kernel panic issues with many cards and slower rates due to firmware changes made by apple. the tempo pro seems to be untouched by this but what is the general consensus from those who have experience?

2. What are the leading eSata drives known to work seamlessly with the mbp? seagate, wd, g-tech. i'm looking for 2 TB total but am willing to split it up any number of ways......

overall my needs pertain to storage of vast amounts of imaging data and i would need to be able to access this data quickly....

unibody mbp 2.4
4 gb ram
250 gb stock hd

I am considering upgrading my HD and am debating a SSD or 7200 rpm drive...leaning toward the former but waiting for a price reduction...

if anyone can recommend a good combination of internal drives with external storage that would be great....so far i'm thinking intel or vertex ssd with eSATA externals......

would love to get to 8gb ram but not supported by stupid apple in my model....

thanks. any and all input would be appreciated...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro USB Port Woes | Early Gen Uni-Body MacBook Pro Ram Upgrade »