New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Is (Literally) Falling Apart

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Hello guys,

I take good care of my Macbook, I really do. In fact, it pains me every time when I see my friend's Macbook covered in her cigarette burns. Anyway, I take care of it a lot, whether or not you are talking about the interior or the exterior - everything.

Yet, the bottom right of my palm rest has chipped off, and the same happened to the bottom left of my palm rest. I have read on the internet that this is due to a structural issue with the white and black Macbooks, and it isn't something that can be remedied. So I let it be, but the crack has been getting bigger and bigger even if I don't try to peel it off by force.

Recently, the top left of my screen's bezel has cracked as well. It began when the bezel was bulging out because something came off of the frame inside. Because of the bulge, the plastic bezel eventual buckled and cracked. It just sucks that I have such an awesome machine, and yet I have to deal with these stupid hardware issues. My machine is working perfectly and at tip-top condition on the inside. But on the outside, my Macbook is literally falling apart.

Now, I don't think external damages like that warrant a brand new Macbook Pro, although that is very tempting. Also, I am way past my warranty period, which means that the Apple Store is probably not going to change the top casing and the bezel for me, even though it is obviously their own design flaws. Even if they do, I am not sure if I can part with my Macbook for the duration of time that they'd take to replace the outer shells.

I am just wondering how some of you are dealing with this issue, which I am sure is pretty common for the most part. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bnkrnr

bnkrnr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook5,1

Wait, you said brand new? Meaning an aluminum one, because I cant see how thats possible. Which Macbook do you have? I'm assuming its the polycarbonate one...
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Ummm, read his post, he is talking about a MB, not a MBP.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The plastic MacBooks, up until recently, have used the same case design that has a known defect. The palmrest chips quite easily. In fact, I've seen Apple replace it out of warranty.

If you go to the Apple Store, I would bring along some of the articles that are readily available about the subject - many of which imply that Apple has a policy of repairing the problem out of warranty. Just Google "Macbook cracks" and you'll see what I mean.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have seen a few members here report getting replacement out of warranty.
Can't hurt to ask anyway.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

I do hope the Apple Store back in my country will allow this. They tend to be very anal about such things back home, and they'd probably find an excuse by saying that I mishandled my Macbook, or something.
QUOTE Thanks
stormkat

stormkat is on a distinguished road

Well, I am on a hunt...I would like everyone who has had problems with a cracked screen to make a post. I BABY my mac book pro...it sits in one spot on my desk and occasionally i sit it on my lap to type...I ALWAYS pick it up from the bottom and NEVER pic it up from the screen...I have owned it less than a year and I went to put it in my lap and with my left holding onto the bottom and my right on the top of the screen and CRACK big crack just below the camera...and on top of that I had noticed the hard drive clicking recently and thought oh this can't be it is flippin brand new and didn't check it out...I told my husband about the cracked screen he goes to check on it and the hard drive fails.

I have owned high end dells, toshiba, tough books all still working all workhorses but since I do so much photography and video EVERYONE was saying you need to go with a MAC. Well so far I am LESS than impressed with the hardware....and now I am told after spending 3700 for a custom MacPRO I have to spend another 1200 for a screen. So hey...whats the deal anyone have any of these problems!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

A hard drive in a Mac is the same as in a Dell or Toshiba. It will fail.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
cowwart

cowwart is an unknown at this point

I would recommend not going through apple for the screen. I had the same problem, but I went to a place called "Mission Repair" (iPod Repair | iPhone Repair | MacBook Repair) and got my screen replaced for $229. It still works fine, and I haven't had any problems with the screen so far.
EDIT: apple was going to charge me around $750. Also, that's just an example of a repair service (I read this post and realized it sounded like an advertisement).
QUOTE Thanks
mizzoubaby

mizzoubaby is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem (cracked palm rest on both sides). I want to take it to the Genius Bar, but is there anyway I they would be able to do some sort of an upgrade to the new Uni Body design MB? I have Apple Care and was going to sell my current MB and get the new Uni Body design (which I've heard is VERY comparable to the MBP in terms of hardware), so is it worth it to get the palm rest fixed if they won't offer an upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

They won't offer an upgrade. The best they'll do is a "good will" repair. So, see if they will do the repair free of charge (make sure you mention that you saw on the web that this is a known defect that is often repaired free of charge). Once it's repaired, put it on Craigslist or eBay and use the proceeds to buy a new machine if you're so inclined.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
HMBgal

HMBgal is on a distinguished road

My white MacBook is a hot mess. Works fine, but the case is cracked and strips have literally peeled away. I took it in once, and Apple refused to repair it (Westfield Mall, San Jose, CA store). Said it was a "known issue." I was literally a few days out of warranty. I certainly expected better of their fabled customer support. Now the case is buckling up around the charging/AC port. It looks like this thing has been through a war, and I'm actually quite careful with it.
QUOTE Thanks
schmile

schmile is on a distinguished road

Can I ask which one you have HMBgal I am looking at upgrading. Is yours the latest released macbook or the previous version?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
HMBgal

HMBgal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmile View Post
Can I ask which one you have HMBgal I am looking at upgrading. Is yours the latest released macbook or the previous version?

Thanks in advance
It's an older one. It is a work computer to replace my PowerBook G4. G4 looks brand new, and the MacBook is clean, because I keep it that way with Magic Eraser and electronics wipies, but the case is cracking all over.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro | Expresscard 34 not working in Leopard? »