New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Using 5.25 DVD Burner with Macbook Pro - Need Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cyanide315

Cyanide315 is on a distinguished road

So I have a Macbook Pro running bootcamp (Snow Leopard + Windows XP 32 bit) and Iím looking to pick up a DVD burner capable of doing D/L as my current internal drive isnít working. I purchased a Sony Optiarc from Newegg (Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners) on multiple recommendations for price and quality. To power the drive and hook it up to my laptop I purchased a kit from Amazon(Amazon.com: USB 2.0 to IDE SATA HDD Hard Drive Converter Cable: Electronics). The drive arrived awhile ago but I got the kit today only to find that it would not power the drive. Thinking something was faulty I checked it with a 2.5 HD and 3.5 HD both of which and powered and read.

Iím guessing that this power adapter doesnít work with DVD drives (despite advertising that it did). On the actual adapter it says it says that its output is 12V- 2.5A and 5V-2.5AÖ.is this not compatible for a DVD burner? The other possible problem I saw was with the LP4 to SATA power cable. The end of it has 15 pin slots but only copper prongs in 12 of them. I donít know if any of that is relevant but I thought some of you might make heads or tails out of it for me.

If I canít get this to work by buying a new LP4 cable what is the cheapest way to power the drive (I donít need anything to connect it to the actual HD). Please link the item if you could.

Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm not sure I understand why you went to all that trouble purchasing an internal type drive to use externally instead of just purchasing an external DVD drive for a bit more?

It appears the power adapter you purchased from Amazon does not support that particular drive. If possible, send everything back and get a refund. I don't think Amazon charges a restocking fee but I believe that NewEgg does.

Spend a few more $$ and purchase an external DVD burner. Pioneer makes reliable external drives and so does several other makers.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Confg with 720P TV | Macbook Pro mysterious random shut down »