BeyondxBelief
    Got New Powerbook... Got a question?
    Hi There, I just got a 12 inch Powerbook and I love it, but I think I did something stupid today. I had to restore some applications that I accidently deleted. So the Restore disc was in the drive, so I left it on the bed for about 10 seconds then I look over at the Laptop and the disc popped out with out prompting it would, but the disc looked like it had a hard time coming out because the slot was angled at my bed. So the laptop was trying to eject the disc but the bed was in the way, It came out but I was wondering should I be worried? Did I mess up my drive, the drive still works but I am worried about long term defects. Any help would be great.

Specs:
    1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
    I wouldn't be too worried about it if it still works.

sKaD

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    nah you should be fine as long as the drive still ejects the way its supposed to there should be no long term effects

Specs:
    17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
    The CD-ROMs are free floating in pretty much all laptops. Meaning, that all it does when it ejects is unlocks, and a spring pops it open the rest of the way. You most likely didn't do anything to your drive. You should be able to move the tray freely. This of course could be wrong, as I've never ejected a PB drive, but I have to assume it is the same as my iBook, and every other laptop I've ever used.

I know the feeling of having a brand new baby. Don't worry. They are designed to last forever, unless of course you drop it or something.
    Emrys
    Community Administrator / Moderator
    MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    Even then I have dropped my PB once.. and even though I bent the frame etc.. it still works great!

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrys
    The CD-ROMs are free floating in pretty much all laptops. Meaning, that all it does when it ejects is unlocks, and a spring pops it open the rest of the way. You most likely didn't do anything to your drive. You should be able to move the tray freely. This of course could be wrong, as I've never ejected a PB drive, but I have to assume it is the same as my iBook, and every other laptop I've ever used.

I know the feeling of having a brand new baby. Don't worry. They are designed to last forever, unless of course you drop it or something.
    Actually, according to the Apple site, the new PB's have slot-loading optical drives. I'm not sure what effect that has on the problem being discussed, but I don't think slot-loaders are spring driven. Either way, as everyone said, if it is working correctly, there probably isn't anything to worry about.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

BeyondxBelief
    Thanks for all the replies. I just love my new laptop. I guess I am like that with new things, paranoid I would say. Man I love this thing.

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    yea even the older pb were the slot loading. i went to my apple store yesterday and tried out the new 15" (i coulda waited) but its not that much different just the ports on the side and all titanium

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
    yea even the older pb were the slot loading.
    Oops - can you tell I'm an iBook owner? I never really checked out the previous PB, and I had noticed the slot-loading feature when I looked at the new ones online. I think it's pretty neat, but I wonder what the advantage is over the iBook design?
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

BeyondxBelief
    How do these drives actually work, the new ones. Is there like a device that grabs the disc and pushes down onto a lens? any pictures of how it works? I mean is it exactly like a regular cd player?

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondxBelief
    How do these drives actually work, the new ones. Is there like a device that grabs the disc and pushes down onto a lens? any pictures of how it works? I mean is it exactly like a regular cd player?

This may be of some help to understand how cd burners work .

BeyondxBelief
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    This may be of some help to understand how cd burners work .

Thanks!

Thread Information