New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Touch pad & mouse

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fncos

fncos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF

Hi,

I am trying to make the touch pad work in combination with the mouse.

Do you know how to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Can you explain a little more about what you're trying to do exactly?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
fncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Can you explain a little more about what you're trying to do exactly?
Hi,

I want to be able to use in combination the touch pad with the mouse together, and at times be able to use them both separately.

This will depend on, what tasks I have to do on the screen.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you're talking about plugging a mouse into a Macbook of some kind:

You can plug a usb mouse in and both the trackpad and mouse will work, at the same time. Plugging a mouse in doesn't disable the trackpad etc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
fncos

Well, for me at present I cant use the USB mouse in combination with the touch pad!

I am only able to use them separately i.e. either the mouse only or the touch pad only, but not in combination!

I have tried to check the settings, but couldnt locate anything in regard to that!

On my other windows based netbook, I have a button and a menu setting to be able to use either both on combination at the same time or separately.

I think this should be also possible on a macbook, but how!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Which Macbook do you have? Which version of Mac OS?

QUOTE Thanks
fncos

mac os x 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
fncos

macbook mc240zp/a
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

There used to be an option in the Trackpad preferences pane but if that's not there at 10.5.8 then try this in Terminal:
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.ignoreTrackpadIfMousePresent 0

QUOTE Thanks
fncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
There used to be an option in the Trackpad preferences pane but if that's not there at 10.5.8 then try this in Terminal:
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.ignoreTrackpadIfMousePresent 0

Hi,

I was able to solve the problem.

Could I ask what's the difference of doing the setting through the Trackpad preferences pane, or anything similar to that versus through the terminal!

I ask this because, just recently I am having some trouble with some software. Just from nowhere this terminal, turned up on my dock station and I cant remove it; as it seems its processing systems data!

Thank you, appreciate your help.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fncos View Post
Hi,

I was able to solve the problem.

Could I ask what's the difference of doing the setting through the Trackpad preferences pane, or anything similar to that versus through the terminal!
Glad it's working for you now.
No difference at all - except the method.

Quote:
I ask this because, just recently I am having some trouble with some software. Just from nowhere this terminal, turned up on my dock station and I cant remove it; as it seems its processing systems data!

Thank you, appreciate your help.
I'm not sure I can help you there but if you post some details of the content in the Terminal window someone may be able to help.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scrolling Stutter (since upgrade) | 12inch powerbook g4 power problem »