New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Ways to make my old, old iBook look new?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KFJ

KFJ is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

I just got myself an old iBook, here are the specs:

Processor: 500 Mhz PowerPC G3
Memory: 384 MB SDRAM.

Anyway, it's old, (Cost me 220$, though ) and I'd like to know how I could make it be new, (As in, new OS, and so forth.) So, can anyone help me out? Will Snow Leopard work on it? (I know that Snow Leopard is a beast when it comes to system requirements.) and general cosmetics will do me good

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

I can tell you right off the bat that Snow Leopard will not work on a G3.
It requires an Intel based machine.
Leopard won't work on it as well, as it requires a >867 MHz CPU.

Your best choice would be Panther (10.3) or Tiger (10.4)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFJ View Post
Hey all,

I just got myself an old iBook, here are the specs:

Processor: 500 Mhz PowerPC G3
Memory: 384 MB SDRAM.

Anyway, it's old, (Cost me 220$, though ) and I'd like to know how I could make it be new, (As in, new OS, and so forth.) So, can anyone help me out? Will Snow Leopard work on it? (I know that Snow Leopard is a beast when it comes to system requirements.) and general cosmetics will do me good

Thanks in advance
No you cannot use Snow Leopard (OS 10.6)...it is for Intel Mac's only. In fact, you cannot use OS 10.5 either, since your iBook's CPU is not fast enough (you need at least an 867mhz cpu)...so your best bet is OS 10.4 (which can be upgraded to OS 10.4.11).

But...to get a copy of OS 10.4 is going to cost you over $100 dollars...probably on eBay.

Lastly...$220 dollars for that laptop was a pretty high price (assuming $220 US dollars)...I could have purchased one recently for about $75 with an Airport card...Mac2sell.com says it is worth $60.

Hope this helps...good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
KFJ

Oh, alright

But how about cosmetic changes?

And I got the iBook second hand, and I live in Iceland, where nothing is cheap, and everything is expensive.

Edit:

I just found out that my iBook is already on 10.4 :S
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh, alright

But how about cosmetic changes?

And I got the iBook second hand, and I live in Iceland, where nothing is cheap, and everything is expensive.
Yes I understand that computers can be expensive in other places around the world...so $220 may not have been a bad price relative to the computer prices in your area.

As far as cosmetic changes...I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean cleaning, removing scuffs & scratches, or a total customization of some sort?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
KFJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Yes I understand that computers can be expensive in other places around the world...so $220 may not have been a bad price relative to the computer prices in your area.

As far as cosmetic changes...I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean cleaning, removing scuffs & scratches, or a total customization of some sort?

- Nick
I'm talking about how the desktop looks, and the bar on top (Not sure what it's called, been using Windows for a long time now )
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Didn't you get the install CD's with it??

The menu bar is what make a Mac, a Mac... I don't think you can customize that or remove it.

QUOTE Thanks
KFJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur3Mac View Post
Didn't you get the install CD's with it??
I did not, and the previous owner had already placed a lock on the system, so I had to change the root password and so forth
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Wow.. that's not good, you should always get the CD's with them, now it's probably going to cost extra to get them.

What would you want on it, because I have a spare Panther installment lying around.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Yeah...you really can't do too much with the menu bar...but pretty much everything else can be modified.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
KFJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur3Mac View Post
Wow.. that's not good, you should always get the CD's with them, now it's probably going to cost extra to get them.

What would you want on it, because I have a spare Panther installment lying around.
I'm mainly interested in making it look better, a new theme would be nice, if that's possible

And for some reason, I can't access the internet on it

And Nick, can I change its color?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
And for some reason, I can't access the internet on it

And Nick, can I change its color?
As far as the internet. Do you have an Airport card installed in it...or is it connected via an ethernet cable?

I know in the "old days" (years & years ago...OS 9 days) there were programs that allowed you to change the color of the menu bar...but I haven't seen anything lately. That doesn't mean something doesn't exist...you may have to do an internet search for it.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Water Damage | MacBook Pro Keyboard Trouble »