New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Carrying MBP around in sleep or deep sleep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

riverteeth

riverteeth is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.

I can't seem to find a recent post about this issue, or one that answers my specific question, so here goes.

Numerous posts suggest that it has always been fine to carry a MB or MBP around in sleep mode (in a bag, to and from work for example). But the guy at the Mac store here in Taipei (not sure if he has the "genius" status or not) says that this my damage the hd, as it still spins very slowly during sleep. My first quesiton is, who's right on this point?

Second, other posts suggest that deep sleep is better than regular sleep if you don't mind waiting a bit longer to wake up, in that it saves the current state to hd memory instead of RAM. My second question is, does this make it any safer for carrying the computer around without shutting down?

Incidently, I found that the original Deep Sleep widget (Deep Sleep, last update Feb. 2009) doesn't seem to work with Snow Leopard, it just keeps asking me for my admin password, even after I enter it. I did find a new one that does, however, from Axonic Labs (Axonic Labs - DeepSleep Widget - Hibernate your Mac). Let me know if you have tried a different one, and which you prefer.

Thanks!

"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." -William Faulkner
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Lots of opinions around on this one. But here's my take anyway....

When carrying around your Mac in a backpack or whatever, and it's sleeping or hibernating, there's always a chance the machine can wake up. If the machine wakes up the hard drive will spin up also. That can result in data loss or may even damage the hard drive (if you jar or bump the carry case hard).

As for "Deep Sleep", it's not compatible with Snow Leopard. Instead download and use the free "Safe Sleep" which does the same thing but is a bit more configurable. It installs as a preference pane.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Well, I've been carrying my Macbook around for the past two years or so without much care or concern. No problems so far.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

Is that what you use? And what settings do you at yours to?

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Don't forget about the "Sudden Motion Sensor" technology...at least in newer Apple laptops.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
riverteeth

riverteeth is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.

The main difference as far as I can tell, is that certain things will definitely wake a machine up from regular sleep, like the detection of a wifi spot if you've left airport on, or detection of a hard drive. In some cases, it seems to me that this may cause your MB to wake up while you're carrying it, leaving the possibility of doing damage to your HD.

But, as far as I can tell, hibernate is really just like shuting down, so that nothing could "wake it up" from this state except pressing the power button. The difference between it and regular shut down is that when you next boot up, the MB uses the image it saved prior to shuting down, and after about 45 sec. (in my case) you are brought back to where you left off.

The like that cshcag left is for a program that allows you to set regurlar sleep to safe sleep or hibernate, but does not install a preference pane. That program is called SmartSleep. It looks useful, but still means that you can only use sleep, "smart sleep", safe sleep, or hibernate, all the time. I like the Deep Sleep widget from Axiom I linked to above becuase with it, I can close the lid for regular sleep, or click the widget when I want to hibernate and go to work or home.

Correct me if I still don't have it all right! Frustrating that this stuff isn't in the apple help files in plain english!

"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." -William Faulkner
QUOTE Thanks
Periculum

Periculum is an unknown at this point

I need to be honest, when I read the title of this thread I thought it would be about someone who took his macbook with him everytime he was sleep walking.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Detection of a Wi-Fi hotspot should not wake up a Macbook. If it does, then you've got an issue that needs to be resolved. Inserting anything into the USB ports will wake a Macbook.

I've been lugging my Macbook around for three years while in sleep mode. I've taken it to class, I've taken it on planes, and I've walked around the house with it, all while the lid was closed and it was sleeping. As long as you keep it in a sleeve, there is no way for it to wake up and cause damage to the hard drive. And even if it does wake up, there's the sudden motion sensor that will lock down the hard drive.

There's really nothing to worry about when it comes to moving a Macbook around while it's sleeping. If you're really that paranoid about it, then just shut it down.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

*agrees with kash*
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
The like that cshcag left is for a program that allows you to set regurlar sleep to safe sleep or hibernate, but does not install a preference pane. That program is called SmartSleep. It looks useful, but still means that you can only use sleep, "smart sleep", safe sleep, or hibernate, all the time. I like the Deep Sleep widget from Axiom I linked to above becuase with it, I can close the lid for regular sleep, or click the widget when I want to hibernate and go to work or home.
riverteeth:

SmartSleep does install a preference pane. Did you try it? I use the "sleep only" option because it will sleep the machine immediately. When using hibernate, there's a delay while the system state is copied to memory. Usually the delay is short though.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I do the same thing as Kash. I just close the lid and put it in my messenger bag and I'm off to school. On my bike, running to class whatever and it's fine.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Bahja

Bahja can only hope to improve

Here’s a silly newbie question for you guys. I always switch mine off when i finish for the day.
I do not use it for much other than looking about online, DLing music and videos. That’s about it. Does it really matter if i turn it completely off? It will be off for about 12 hours before i switch it back on again. I am never doing any work that needs saved or can wait till the next morning to start.

A new MacBook Pro user as of oct 09 and loving it!! Sorry for the stupid questions i am asking as i know you will have been asked them a million times before
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

I only open and close the lid, I never shut the MBP down or reboot unless Apple Software Update asks me to reboot.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahja View Post
Hereís a silly newbie question for you guys. I always switch mine off when i finish for the day.
I do not use it for much other than looking about online, DLing music and videos. Thatís about it. Does it really matter if i turn it completely off? It will be off for about 12 hours before i switch it back on again. I am never doing any work that needs saved or can wait till the next morning to start.
Well if you are the least bit concerned about energy cost and global warming I would turn off anything you aren't using, especially electronics.

Other than that it's fine to leave on or let sleep overnight. I haven't turned off my MB in almost a year.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Bahja

Bahja can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Well if you are the least bit concerned about energy cost and global warming I would turn off anything you aren't using, especially electronics.

Other than that it's fine to leave on or let sleep overnight. I haven't turned off my MB in almost a year.

I couldn't care less about Global warming because itís a myth. Sorry to sound so course itís not ment in the nasty tone it reads

A new MacBook Pro user as of oct 09 and loving it!! Sorry for the stupid questions i am asking as i know you will have been asked them a million times before
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hooking up xbox to macbook pro | Battery Mode »