New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook to Led Tv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mpj1969

mpj1969 is on a distinguished road

Hi all, have a aluminium macbook, and just bought a samsung led 6000 tv.
Am really confused, what cables and adapters do i need to be able to watch movies etc.
The tv has HDMI ports, and a pc input port ( not sure if this is vga though ) . Digital audio optical , a dvi audio input, and a pc audio input ( mini jack )
Really would appreciate some help, and in idiot terms for me if possible.
Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

You could easily do a mini-display port to VGA, and then get a auxiliary 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack and go from your headphone jack to the pc audio input on your tv.

Or let me find u something else that could potentially work better.
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

Ok 2nd option is:

mini display to HDMI

Amazon.com: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (female) Cable for Apple Mac: Electronics

for audio fiber optic

Amazon.com: HOSA 3.5MM-TO-TOSLINK FIBER-OPTIC CABLE, 10 ft. TOSLINK to 3.5MM 3.5mm: Electronics

That should be the best... Someone correct me if I am wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Open up the manual for your TV and you'll find the following picture on page 11.

(I did not go check, I "think" you have a mini-display port on your MacBook. You need to verify that it is. If you must, search google images for mini-display port and mini-dvi. Compare to the one on your MacBook. I am "assuming" yours is mini-display port.)

I would recommend the Video option 2. If you already have a HDMI cable the adapter deathcloud linked above is fine. If you don't have the adapter, then grab one of these in the length you will need.

Audio - Since the manual does not show a picture of the actual port, I am uncertain what cable that is. It looks to me like a standard RCA cable rather than a toslink (optical) cable. You will need to look at the TV and determine what type of port that is.

If it is as I suspect from the picture, it may be a standard RCA or 3.5mm stereo plug. Once again, a google image search if you're not sure. Compare it to RCA, 3.5mm and optical input ports.

If it is an optical port, the cable deathcloud has linked should be what you need. If you get a different one, you will need to make sure that one end of the cable has a mini-toslink (at the end connected to your MB) and the other a standard toslink connection.

If it is RCA or 3.5mm, you will need a 3.5mm stereo plug on the end connecting to your MB.

(If it turns out you have a mini-DVI on your MB, then you will need one of these and a HDMI cable.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mpj1969

Wow thanks so much to both of you for the replies and the expertise, really appreciate it. One question, the HDMI adapter deathclould suggested is male dvi to female hdmi. the one bobtomay is male to male. Which ie easier to connect?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpj1969 View Post
Wow thanks so much to both of you for the replies and the expertise, really appreciate it. One question, the HDMI adapter deathclould suggested is male dvi to female hdmi. the one bobtomay is male to male. Which ie easier to connect?
Bobtomay's is male dvi to female hdmi too...from the picture..... It will work great to connect to an hdmi tv. We have a 60" sharp led that has the male mini-dvi(connected to macbook pro) going to female hdmi that connects to a male HDMI, which can plug right into the tv. For the audio, I just use a audio jack(single) that splits to two(red and white) audio wires that plug into the sony sound system when we are watching movies. Works perfectly!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

deathcloud has a link for the adapter only. You will still need the separate HDMI cable (which will be male at both ends) to go from the adapter to the TV.

If you do not already have the adapter, then you can get the one from monoprice that has the adapter/cable all-in-one instead of separate adapter and cable.

QUOTE Thanks
mpj1969

Hi thanks all, i have the mac and the tv connected , getting great pictures. I have a 3.5mm to 3.5 mm jack going from my heaphone socket to the audio in slot, but no sound . Yes the sound is on on the mac......
Is it something to do with the tv seetings. Can't understand
Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If you still have sound coming from your Mac - first look at the plug - unplug it and re-insert it. Should have no sound on the Mac as soon as it's plugged in.

If you do have sound on the Mac while the cable is plugged in, then you need to head to the audio/sound settings in System Preferences and change it there.

QUOTE Thanks
mpj1969

Ok , there is no sound coming from macbook, i have the prefernces to play sound through headphones, which i guess is correct, still no sound !

Is it beacuse i am running mini display port to hdmi, therefore the sound is being carried by that but not suported?

i really am at my wits end now, sounds preferences are ok, picture fine from macbook, to tv, Whichever of the hdmi slots i connect to , i still cant get any sound from my 3.5 to 3.5 jack from macbook to tv. Is it beacuse the tv is expecting digital sound? If so i cant see how to change this on the tv.
Help, help, help
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I "assume" you are using HDMI # 1?

Sometimes you just have to pick up the Owners Manual and start reading.

See page 36 of the Owners Manual - Input Menu - Edit Name.

You will have to do this to activate the audio input for the HDMI port.

QUOTE Thanks
mpj1969

Yes am using hdmi 1 have gone into edit name , have tried pc still nothing , am sorry if i sound frustatated, but i seem to be getting knowhere.
QUOTE Thanks
mpj1969

Thanks works, massive thanks for all your patince with me, I truly apprecaite it a great deal.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Glad you got it.

QUOTE Thanks
ammcc3

ammcc3 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a 2007 MacBook and recently purchase a Samsung 7100 LED TV. What do I need to use my television as a monitor for my MB?
Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to change display settings on broken screen | Macbook Pro - AC Adapter snap outs »