New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Must be winter cause my macbook just keeps hibernating.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

King Of England

King Of England is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2008 MacBook 2.4Ghz 250 GB

Ok, im hoping this isnt just some silly option iv missed or changed something silly. But now it seems every time i close the lid on my macbook it goes into hibernation thus having to wait for it to fire up, where as before i could just open the lid and it would be ready to go. any one know why this is happening ??

King
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of England View Post
Ok, im hoping this isnt just some silly option iv missed or changed something silly. But now it seems every time i close the lid on my macbook it goes into hibernation thus having to wait for it to fire up, where as before i could just open the lid and it would be ready to go. any one know why this is happening ??
Hey "King of England"...living in Belgium...Macintosh laptops don't "hibernate"...they "sleep"!

As far as the problem...have you tried restarting or shutting down the computer recently...before putting it to "sleep" once again?

Also...I always use the "sleep" command from the drop down menu...rather than just closing the laptop before I put my laptop to "sleep".

Just something to try,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
King Of England

King Of England is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2008 MacBook 2.4Ghz 250 GB

Lol, sleep, hibernate..same thing.
Yeh i've restarted plenty times. But it never slept before. I just closed the lid and it went for a snooze and when i opened it, it just poped up and was ready to go. now when i close it for 5 mins. it goes to sleep so i have to wait for it to load up again. and some times the screen doesnt even come back on. i have to hold the power button to turn it off and then reboot it. its never ever had this problem before.. im hoping there is a simple cure.. other wise ill need to reformat it.

King
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I wasn't trying to give you a hard time about the terminology...hibernate is a Windows term...Sleep is a Mac OS term.

Plus Windows has both "hibernate" and "standby" as two choices other than completely turning it off.

Plus if I'm correct...I think that the equivalent of the Macintosh "sleep" in Windows is "standby" vs. "hibernate".

In any case, as to your problem. Have you tried repairing permissions? Something to try.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Yeh i've restarted plenty times. But it never slept before. I just closed the lid and it went for a snooze and when i opened it, it just poped up and was ready to go. now when i close it for 5 mins. it goes to sleep so i have to wait for it to load up again. and some times the screen doesnt even come back on. i have to hold the power button to turn it off and then reboot it. its never ever had this problem before.. im hoping there is a simple cure.. other wise ill need to reformat it.
Do like Nick says and repair permissions first. Do it when booted from your install DVD: Top menu, Utilities, Disk Utilities, repair permissions.

Then download and install the free "SafeSleep" program. It allows you to set "Instant Sleep", "Sleep and hibernate", and "Safe Sleep".

You might also want to run a maintenance program like OnyX every once in a while.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« usb connect issue | CD wont eject »