New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook only starts in safe mode!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gary_powerbook

gary_powerbook is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I have a Powerbook G4 running OSX 10.3.2, and I am having a problem!!!

Basically when I try to start up the machine, it goes to the white screen with the gray apple, then almost as soon as the progress wheel underneath the gray apple starts spinning the screen switches to black and I get the following prompt in white text in the top left corner:
localhost :/ root#

I can start the machine up in safe mode by holding down the shift key, but this doesn't allow me any access to certain things like my wireless internet or bluetooth, and obviously isn't ideal anyway. I thought it might be OK if I just performed a restart from safe mode but this just returns me to the black screen.

A friend who was trying to help me over the phone yesterday when I couldn't get online told me I might be in 'single user mode', but I can't find any way to exit this - and indeed the advice I could find in the system preferences help basically says if you start up in safe mode and then do a restart as normal then the machine should return to normal but this isn't proving to be the case

Apologies for the long and boring message but I thought I'd try and give you guys as much info as poss. from the off.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Gaz
QUOTE Thanks
gary_powerbook

Bump! Anybody? Pretty please?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

That is one old operating system, not even updated to OS X.3.9.

Try booting from the Panther OS X.3 install disc by holding down 'C' after the chimes, go into Utilities in the menu bar and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. Please do not say you don't have the install disc eh?
QUOTE Thanks
gary_powerbook

I might be running 10.3.9 – I'm not 100% sure so I'll boot up in safe boot and check shortly... and yes, I do have the install disc!
QUOTE Thanks
gary_powerbook

Anybody else ever came across this error message?
QUOTE Thanks
gary_powerbook

Right then, I've tried to repair the disk and it's telling me the disc is fine, still I just can't seem to get the thing to boot normally!
It just keeps going into single user mode and giving me the message: localhost :/ root#
I'm panicking a bit now as I've ran out of ideas... anybody?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« On-screen keyboard | Fan in the macbook aluminium 13.3" »