MacBook Pro 17"; 3.06 Ghz; 4gb RAM; 500 GB HD 7200 rpm;
    Unhappy MBP Battery Problem
    I just got my new MBP 17inch and i noticed when I am running on battery, the battery life left jumps alot. At one time it'll say it has 2 hrs then it jumps to 5. Is there any way to fix this? Does something need updated? :

Texas Baby! ;)
    Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I don't think it's an actual problem at all. Mine does the same thing, and yes it's the new uniboy long battery life one...the 15 inch though.

The reason it jumps around a ton is not because the computer has a problem, but because it's constantly recalculating what you have left based on what you're doing on the computer.

For example....

If you have the brightness set at 50%, lower graphic card, just browsing the web or something very simple and not taxing than you'll notice that your time left will jump up a ton. For me it would be about 6ish hours...but since you have the 17 inch it would about 7ish for you give or take I might be wrong here.

Now put the brightness up to 100%, open a bunch of applications, watch a movie, browse the net, download something, edit a video and so on....and it will shoot down within minutes on the estimated time left....then close some applications down and it will go back up again.

Get what I'm saying? You don't have a problem, the computer is just trying to constantly keep up with what you're doing and recalculate how much more time you have left. And don't forget it's still kind of an estimate.

Thread Information