New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Thought Apple was American Based...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tracks83

Tracks83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008- Mac Pro 2.8ghz-8 Core, 10Gig Ram, Nvidia 8800GT Card, 2x 500Gig HD, 2x Dell 2408 Screens

I thought Apple was a California based company? I thought Macs are assembled and sent from California? So I ordered a 17" MBP the other day and Im looking at my FedEX Tracker and my MBP is coming from Shanghai, China. What's that about? I'm concerned now. Im paying all this money for the best there is in computing and I have a feeling that my Mac is being pieced together with parts from China. I'm sorry but any product I had assembled there always broke down. If I wanted a computer put together from China than I would of bought a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

You're kidding, right? Apple makes nothing here. It's all "Designed in California, made in China" as are most consumer electronics today from any company. Aside from "boutique" manufacturers, I think Dell was the last manufacturer to even assemble PCs here - they just shut down their last assembly plant a few weeks ago.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

We covered this recently in 1-2 threads last week!

I'm not really sure why this is "new news" to anyone...this Apple "corporate structure" has been in place for quite a while!

- Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks83 View Post
So I ordered a 17" MBP the other day and Im looking at my FedEX Tracker and my MBP is coming from Shanghai, China. What's that about?
If this REALLY bothers you...then cancel your order...problem solved!

- Nick

p.s. BTW...your avatar says that you have an 8-Core Mac Pro...did you think this was "Made in the USA" as well??

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
fade

Apple is an American based company. They manufacture computers in China.

Hate to tell you, but a lot of your "American" products are made outside or parts were sourced outside this country.
QUOTE Thanks
Tracks83

Tracks83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008- Mac Pro 2.8ghz-8 Core, 10Gig Ram, Nvidia 8800GT Card, 2x 500Gig HD, 2x Dell 2408 Screens

Wow! Sorry! Didn't think that was a bad question. When I decided to buy an Apple product all I heard was its California based and the reason they are expensive because the design and parts are all made here. So I figured Ok that makes sense as to the price tags on these products. No big deal I can afford it. I like having a well made product.
So to answer your question PIGOO3, Yes! I DID THINK IT WAS MADE IN THE US!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who still thinks Apple Computers are made in the USA...here are a couple links to bring you "up to speed":

Here's a 2003 article indicating that Apple would be producing iMacs in Shanghai, China:

AppleInsider: Quanta to Produce New iMacs as Apple Restructures Overseas Shipping

A 2004 article regarding Apple closing it's US based iMac manufacturing plant:

Apple Computer Closes Elk Grove, Calif., Plant.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks83 View Post
Wow! Sorry! Didn't think that was a bad question. When I decided to buy an Apple product all I heard was its California based and the reason they are expensive because the design and parts are all made here. So I figured Ok that makes sense as to the price tags on these products. No big deal I can afford it. I like having a well made product.
So to answer your question PIGOO3, Yes! I DID THINK IT WAS MADE IN THE US!!!
Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's poor quality. Apple makes sure its manufacturers follow its strict production guidelines. So you're still getting a high quality product.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's poor quality. Apple makes sure its manufacturers follow its strict production guidelines. So you're still getting a high quality product.
Great point Kash!!!

"Tracks83"...the majority of United States companies that have products manufactured overseas have strict production & quality parameters! These parameters (in many cases) are just as strict as they would be if the products were made in the United States.

The only reason why "build quality" or "product quality" would decrease is if Apple actually made a decision to reduce the quality of the materials used or reduced or widened the manufacturing specifications for products.

A very very good product can be made anywhere in the world...and vice versa...a very very bad product can be made anywhere in the world as well!

What determines quality is what materials the "parent company" decides to use in it's products...and how tight the manufacturing tolerances are.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I have been working in the electronics industry for a long time you would be surprised
at the percentage of products made in china and assembled their also very few things
are actually made in the U.S.A. and even fewer with all American parts.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I have been working in the electronics industry for a long time you would be surprised
at the percentage of products made in china and assembled their also very few things
are actually made in the U.S.A. and even fewer with all American parts.

No! We would not!! China manufacturing plant of the world and India the IT leaders.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
No! We would not!! China manufacturing plant of the world and India the IT leaders.
The vast majority of Americans would though.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

I know that some buses are made here if that tells you anything!

Don't worry Tracks83, a couple of days ago I thought you were right! You're not alone.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Even American cars aren't 100% American built. Parts are made from all over the world and just put together in plants, some of which may not even be in the United States (take a look at the list of Ford factories, not many in the US)

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
August West

August West is on a distinguished road

I believe you can get a 100% refund from Apple since your new uMBP has failed to meet your quality standards. Just make sure you don't open the box. If you open the box I believe there is a 10% restock charge so it would be best to just call and arrange the return as soon as it arrives.

You might want to do a little bit of research as the the country of origin before ordering whatever PC you decide on. If you want want something assembled in the USA I think your are going to be SOL. Dell used to assemble desktops here but moved that off shore years ago. I think everything you find is going to assembled in Asia whether it be Malaysia or China. Be aware that they all use basically the same components. Many, if not most, of those components are going to manufactured in China.

I don't think you will be successful in avoiding China totally. Maybe if you were building a desktop it might be done but not buying a notebook.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Even if he were building a desktop, none of the components needed are American made. Motherboard, processor, hard drive, memory, it's all built in some Asian country. You simply cannot buy all American electronics anymore.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook G4 | Leopard won't install on PowerBook G4 »