Specs:
    MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
    Onyx Message on new uMBP
    I got a new uMBP (5,5) about a month ago and finally got around to running Onyx on it today. After it was done with the initial check (quitting all applications, verifying disk, etc...), it told me "the volume needs to be repaired." I don't think I've done anything in my month or so of owning my computer, so I'm wondering what prompted this message and if it's a real problem. I've attached a shot of the message it gave me for clarification.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Your guess is as good as anyone else's as to what the problem may be. Possible it's just detected some bad sectors on the drive. Nothing unusual, but do go ahead and run the repair as suggested.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbab View Post
    I got a new uMBP (5,5) about a month ago and finally got around to running Onyx on it today. After it was done with the initial check (quitting all applications, verifying disk, etc...), it told me "the volume needs to be repaired." I don't think I've done anything in my month or so of owning my computer, so I'm wondering what prompted this message and if it's a real problem. I've attached a shot of the message it gave me for clarification.
    Have you ever forcibly powered the machine down without using the Apple menu => Shut Down? That's enough to cause a filesystem error.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
    Thanks for the help. Is there any possibility the repair will damage any of my files? I'm a little hesitant when it comes to using Disk Utility still.

Specs:
    -->
    If you have a good backup you really have nothing to worry about. Onyx will not continue until you perform the requested tasks. I actually got this same error last week and I booted from the SL DVD and performed the fixes and all was fine. I had a hard shutdown (not realizing I didn't plug into a battery backup outlet) like cwa107 mentioned, so that could have been the issue.

All is well now and Onyx works perfectly with no errors.

Thread Information