New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Sleep vs "Instant Sleep" (Option+Command+Eject)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MarkZhang

MarkZhang is on a distinguished road

I recently saw a "Tip of the Week" saying that Option+Command+Eject instantly sleeps your Macbook Pro. I tried it and it worked. However, I want to know whether I can move it right after it Instant Sleeps. I know that I am not suppose to move it when I shut the lid until the light "breaths".

is there any probably with Option+Command+Eject? Like will it screw up my computer?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Normal "sleep mode" copies the current system state to memory (hibernate) and then puts the hard drive and display to sleep.

Instant "sleep" bypasses copying the system state to memory and just puts the machine to sleep.

With the above in mind, if you use your machine primarily at home on your desk, instant sleep is fine. It can't hurt the computer or cause data loss unless you put it to instant sleep while you're moving about or the machine is in the process of copying files or accessing the hard drive.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
fncos

fncos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF

On macbook how to do them?

Do you have to/can you close the cover; and later instantly continue where you stopped before?

Within what time frame should you do this, and what are the advantages of doing so compared to logging-out and restart the system later?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

They're both the same. Opt-cmd-eject is just the keyboard shortcut for the Sleep command.
QUOTE Thanks
Emptee

Emptee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB

I run my macbook in clamshell and only use my 23" screen with my wireless peripherals and I only do instant sleep for the convenience. I have never experienced a problem with the instant sleep. I personally love key commands so naturally I use this multiple times a day.
QUOTE Thanks
fncos

fncos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF

I think there must be a difference between both in how the mac processes data in processes, open websites etc

Considering the options, I am pretty sure most will select sleep mode as you can exist but log -in back as quickly as you did exit.

But with logging-out, it can take longer, sometimes a bit too long!

What are the processes in both cases, and what could be the security issues we should be aware!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G4 1.42ghz White Screen, but boots into Ubuntu | Getting my first Mac - lots of questions »