New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

my new MBP scared me to death this morning :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

badhabits

badhabits is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD

I generally leave it on overnight, playing a movie as i fall asleep. been doing so for about a month... when the movies over it eventually falls asleep. i wake up in the morning, roll over, hit a random key, and it wakes up so i can see my email..

well, this morning, it didnt wake up. I noticed the light on the magsafe wasnt on, and i couldnt get it to turn on or show any sign of life... it was plugged in the entire night, i thought it was a goner.

I switch to a different outlet, still no luck...

I come downstairs, and try another outlet, this time, the green light comes on, and quickly goes back off.. i unplug it and plug it back in again, this time it finally stays on and turns to orange as normal...

Somehow, while being plugged in overnight, it managed to drain completely to 0%.. once it was plugged in for a few seconds it let me start it back up.. instead of the usual apple loading logo, or strait to the desktop as im used to seeing, it was the grey screen with some kind of loading bar... after a minute it finally starts up to my password screen, but actued VERY sluggish logging in... a few seconds after i got to my desktop, everything seems to be back to normal...

Any ideas why it did this????

13" Macbook Pro, 2.26Ghz, 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive, 4GB Ram. 8GB iPhone 3G.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Well, that is definitely behavior of battery completely drained (the startup with grey screen). Normal.

How it drained while plugged in is weird. Unless the plug on the side of your MBP somehow got bumped and disconnected. It's magnetic and can sometimes looks like it is plugged into the notebook but actually is not fully connected. That's a possibility and therefore would account for your battery draining overnight. And why the light wasn't on green or orange.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I had a new power adapter act like that. It was bad. Just keep an eye on it.
QUOTE Thanks
badhabits

badhabits is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD

Yeah, it was fully plugged in. Confirmed that right away instinctively.

13" Macbook Pro, 2.26Ghz, 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive, 4GB Ram. 8GB iPhone 3G.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I wouldn't be surprised if maybe something got stuck on the magsafe.
QUOTE Thanks
stickerdontwork

stickerdontwork is on a distinguished road

maybe the MBP shut off incoming power so it wouldnt kill the battery. things like the nintendo ds do that. sorry if im wrong, im just lurking and learning stuff before i get a mbp for christmas. cant wait!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« battery % dropped by 4 | Onyx Message on new uMBP »