New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

snow leopard issue (fans running non-stop)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bowlesbe

bowlesbe is on a distinguished road

I have upgraded my MBP (late 2008) unibody to snow leopard, and the fan runs non-stop. I have tried Fan Control Preference frame, I have read the forum here

Apple - Support - Discussions - Horrible Fan noise after installing ...

But it seems I am still without a solution. Does anyone have any ideas? This is ridiculous. I am so disapointed in Apple right now.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Your fans are running because:
1) on request of the hardware because it requires cooling ( check your temperature )
2) you have manually instructed them to run ( using an application )

I can not find the ' fans preference pane ' on my machine so I assume you have the fans manually controlled using a 3rd party application.

let us know what your current setup is in terms of fan controls and I am sure a member will provide a solution .

Also check activity monitor for any runaway process that is burning CPU cycles and generating heat.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

try an SMC reset.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
bowlesbe

bowlesbe is on a distinguished road

Hey, thanks so much!

I have tried an SMC reset. Although, I can't say for sure that it worked, only that the instructions on the apple website were simple and the best of my ability I followed the instructions.

I am trying to use the fan control utility here

Download Fan Control for Mac - Adjusts minimum fan speed on MacBooks. MacUpdate Mac System Software Downloads

which does not seem to work.

Also, I have discovered it seems to be a bigger issue when the power is plugged in than when it is not. When the power is plugged in, it runs non-stop, without exception. When there is no power plugged in, the fans sometimes run, and sometimes do not run, but it seems like even in this case (when no power) the fans run way more than they are supposed to.

Any further insight would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« replacing bottom case on a Macbook pro 15" | Macbook Horrible Battery Life and Heat »