Specs:
    Macbook Pro 13" 2012 2.9 GHz i7, 750 GB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Travelling in Europe. Macbook ok with step-down transformer?
    I'll be taking a vacation in Paris in a few weeks. As I understand it, the wall voltage is 230V over there (@50Hz).

I'll be staying in an apartment (as opposed to a hotel, with concierge), so being able to connect to the internet there would be real helpful.

Questions:

-Will the computer be safe using a run of the mill step-down transformer (Radio Shack thing)?
    -Will the computer be ok running at 50Hz even if the voltage is bumped down?

Also:

-What's the deal with Wifi in Europe? I've read a few things that say a US computer won't connect to the Wifi over there. I believe the apartment we're staying in has cable internet with a router. Will I have any issues connecting?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully someone has been through this before and can offer some advice.

-Nick

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    You don't need a step down transformer to operate your Mac anywhere in Europe or Asia for that matter. The power supply in your Mac and the charging unit automatically adjust to the local mains. What you will need, however, is an adapter plug to use the mains. Just stop in any Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, Radio Shack, etc. and ask for a world wide adapter kit. It contains many various different kinds of adapters for world wide use.

And, as I understand it, you should have no difficulty getting on the internet in France or anywhere in Europe. WiFi or ethernet.

Regards.

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    When I was there, for only 2 days , their wireless, and apparently everyone else's, was wireless N only. At the time, I had only my HP which didn't have N. This was fixed with a wireless N express card though. They actually had them to rent at the airport. I don't know, or have ever heard, of US's wireless computers not working in france...their computers aren't special/different from everyone else's!

Specs:
    MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
    Yeah no step down is required. I have a Japanese model (100v) and I have used it all over Europe without a step up or down. I just have a multi-plug adaptor thingy.
    MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
    iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
    Check out my flickr

Specs:
    MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
    I don't know, or have ever heard, of US's wireless computers not working in france...their computers aren't special/different from everyone else's!
    +1

I've used my US bought MBP in London, Paris, Frankfurt, Muscat and now Doha with no problems getting a wifi connection.

Quote Originally Posted by B&O View Post
    multi-plug adaptor thingy.
    Buy one of the universal outlet adaptors before getting to the airport. The airport shops mark these up at ridiculous prices just for the convenience.

MBP 11,3 | Logic Pro X | Ableton Live 9 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPC2000XL, X7000, MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, SP-808, TR-707, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 & Willzyx | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 4000+ vinyl records

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 13" 2012 2.9 GHz i7, 750 GB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know that the Macbook will be ok. Oh, believe me, I don't plan on buying any converters at the airport. Radio Shack has them readily available right here in town.

As a side note...I'm assuming the power adapter has a built in voltage regulator. Is there any way to be certain it's working properly? The reason I ask is because my adapter pops sometimes when I plug it into an outlet. It only seems to happen when it's been unplugged from an outlet for a few hours or more. I never have the mag-safe end plugged into the computer when i'm plugging the primary into the wall, for fear of voltage surges. But the fact that it pops a bit concerns me a little taking it overseas. Anyone have this issue? Any input?

Thanks again for the info.

-Nick

Thread Information