New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Cracked trackpad on Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ravensfan91

ravensfan91 is on a distinguished road

Hi! I've had a 15" MBP for about 90 days now and the trackpad recently cracked from normal use. I was so surprised because it happened while I was merely scrolling around with the touchpad as I usually do. Since it is out of the 30-day warranty it is not covered by Apple in any way. To make a long story short, I have ordered the trackpad ONLY (not the entire keyboard "upper case") from a store on eBay because Apple wanted to charge me $220 more for the part. However, I have no idea how to install the piece and I do not plan on attempting it until I am certain of what to do. If anyone has any clue or advice please provide me with as much information as you can. Even if you know of somewhere that might have the answer for me I would be very grateful to you. Please, please, please send me anything you know. Thank you in advance for all of your help.

P.S. - I have the A1286 Model that does not have the access door for the battery. Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Isn't the warranty for a year?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
ravensfan91

ravensfan91 is on a distinguished road

Yes, but this is what is stated in the warranty clause for Apple:
"Apple’s One-Year Limited Warranty for MacBook Pro excludes coverage for damage resulting from a number of events, including accident, liquid spill or submersion, unauthorized service and unauthorized modifications."
I called Apple today and they essentially said there was no way the trackpad could crack like it did from normal use. That's when I ordered the new trackpad.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Hold on. You said it broke under normal use? That means there was a manufacturing defect and Apple should absolutely cover it. If it really did break under normal usage, then don't take no for an answer and don't spend a dime getting this fixed.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
theory2

theory2 is on a distinguished road

My trackpad also cracked right at the middle bottom while just scrolling down a site. I read on some site there is a small screw just under the trackpad at this spot. Mine was 2 weeks old. Haven't called apple yet. Where is your crack? Also a 15" MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
theory2

QUOTE Thanks
Calijoefornia

Calijoefornia is on a distinguished road

I would think that should be covered under the one year complimentary applecare deal. If there isn't any other damage to your computer, then there should be no discrepancies. Besides, Apple must know by now that these things are going to happen to a thin piece of glass that is the point and click for your whole computer. No matter what the 30 day deal says, your computer is still covered for the first year.
QUOTE Thanks
theory2

Just like they initially covered all those cracked white macbooks?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I don't buy that it broke under, "normal use." I tried to see it myself, because I believed my suspicions, and it wouldn't budge! The glass part of the trackpad is only the top part that you can feel. There are 4 more layers under that, which includes a sheet of metal. It is sturdy enough that when you tap on a corner, the whole thing moves without flexing. The only way I could see it braking is if someone got mad and pounded on it.

I think the best bet will be to buy it, as you have done, and talk KINDLY to the apple store to help you with the price of labor so they can fix it. I know they can adjust prices. If you do this yourself, you will void your warranty! Have piece of mind and let them do it, because they are not that easy to work on.
QUOTE Thanks
theory2

Normal use, no kidding. And it is a hairline crack, not a an impact crack. I have the Best Buy accident insurance so I get it fixed free either way.
QUOTE Thanks
ih8pc

ih8pc has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb

No way. I have never heard of this. And if it was an issue, Apple would have to cover it. Trackpads just don't crack for no reason.
QUOTE Thanks
RD423

RD423 will become famous soon enough

Just like they said the white macbooks didn't just crack for no reason......And then they decided 2 start covering it. Just saying sometimes things break in ways that we wouldn't believe just being normal use but it does happen. Anything and everything can be defective.
QUOTE Thanks
Tomislavgilja

Tomislavgilja is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody!
I've bought Macbook pro, last year in September, I've told my friend he should buy the same. I've got mine from US (California), he bought in Italy, his trackpad broke down, it looks like crack, he says he wasn't violent, nor did he pushed hard. Since it's been only 2 weeks since he bought laptop it has guaranty, right? Guess what they've told him:

Gireesh: I apologize for the delay caused. I have reviewed the images and I see that this issue is not covered as the the track pad damage is an accidental damage.

They've also gave him case number, what shall he do? Oh and Macbook pro usually coast here costs alot more than in US...
QUOTE Thanks
American-in-Eur

American-in-Eur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theory2 View Post
Normal use, no kidding. And it is a hairline crack, not a an impact crack. I have the Best Buy accident insurance so I get it fixed free either way.
I have a 15 month old MacBook Pro. I was just using my computer and the mouse pad cracked (hairline) in the left upper corner under gentle pressure from my finger tips.

I have AppleCare, so when I called the local store today they said to make an appointment with the Genius Bar and they will fix it or give me a new computer.

My guess is that this problem is fairly common.

b.t.w.
I am in California, not Euro at this time.
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

Can someone post a picture of theirs that is cracked. I have seen screens on other laptops crack on their own, usually because of heat. I know the battery is underneath the trackpad, this may be the issue. If I was able to see a picture, I could tell you if the crack is from pressure (does not matter how much) or from "normal use".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My mouse 'wanders off' and gets lost.... | Erasing a Macbook Pro »