New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook (Late 2006 13") Hard Drive Capacity Limit?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

henryo11

henryo11 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am thinking about upgrading my MacBook hard drive to a 500GB, but when I spoke with a Genius at the Apple Store, I was told that a 500GB drive may be physically too large to fit inside a MacBook and that a 320GB drive was likely the limit for my machine. Does anyone know if this is true? I thought all 2.5" drives were the same size.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

That's rubbish. I've just installed a 7,200 rpm 500GB HD into my MacBook Pro and it's a 2.5". Bad advice from the Genius unless I've missed something fundamentally different between the HD space between a MB and MBP (anyone?).
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Bassist View Post
That's rubbish. I've just installed a 7,200 rpm 500GB HD into my MacBook Pro and it's a 2.5". Bad advice from the Genius unless I've missed something fundamentally different between the HD space between a MB and MBP (anyone?).
What year was your macbook pro? You're aware these 2.5" drives have different overall heights... right?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

In order for most 2.5" HDD to fit they need to be 9mm thick to fit. They can be slightly taller on the 17" MBPs but not by much.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
henryo11

henryo11 is on a distinguished road

Any insight on a MacBook (not Pro)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Lcd Ribbon replace | Macbook Hard Drive Shrinking »