New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Week Old MBPro 13" .. 88% battery health ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kian90

Kian90 is on a distinguished road

hey guys i'm new to macs !

i am loving every second of it, i downloaded the istat widget so i can keep close tabs on my laptop.. i've had it barely over a week and it says my battery is at 18% on 16 cycles . am i doing something wrong ? i charge it once its full and let it drain til it dies to is close to dying..

thanks in advance ..
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

Drain the battery completely, unplug the power cord and hold down the power button for 5-10seconds. it should reset the onboard battery and it may help. You wont loose any information, and since yours is a uni-body it may/may not work. On removable laptops you drain the battery, remove the battery and power cable then hold down the power button to drain/reset the onboard battery/memory. i have 128cycles on my battery and im at 87% left.

The only other thing i could say is its a defective battery, take it to the AppleStore and they may just replace the battery still under warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Masta

Mac Masta is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g

From experience, Lithium Polymer batteries don't wake up until around 100 cycles. But these laptop batteries might not have that trait for some weird reason.
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Masta View Post
From experience, Lithium Polymer batteries don't wake up until around 100 cycles. But these laptop batteries might not have that trait for some weird reason.
Question please!

What do you mean by "wake up"?
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

I think he means warmed up etc so that their full charge depth is available....it's like starting back at the gym after a long absence, you have to stretch and warm up the muscles for them to operate at their best. The time the laptop sat on the shelf unused until delivered to your door is the "time away from the gym"...

y'know?

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:

Huh I think you might have been using bad batteries!! 100 cycles
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

After your first month or two, you'll want to start following this regimen for keeping your battery at optimum health.

Enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Masta

Mac Masta is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g

If It is a BRAND NEW, fresh LiPo, It can take up too 100 cycles until it reaches it's full potential.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

Quote:
If It is a BRAND NEW, fresh LiPo, It can take up too 100 cycles until it reaches it's full potential.
This is all very interesting. This is the second person to post this in the past couple of days. At least I kinda have a lol knowledge of what to expect when I receive my MBP

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

In other news, yes you're doing it wrong. Your battery, once at 100%, will stay there using very minimal charging capacity. Leave that plugged in, d00der.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:

I don't know where you are getting this info from, but be please show some proof please! 100 "cycles" is A LOT for a lipo battery to need to reach it's "full potential"
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
In other news, yes you're doing it wrong. Your battery, once at 100%, will stay there using very minimal charging capacity. Leave that plugged in, d00der.
Bad advice. While li-po and Li-ion batteries are touted as "memoryless" you are still supposed to fully discharge and fully recharge the batteries regularly to maintain peak operating performance.

Leaving it plugged in all the time over-trickles the battery and causes capacity to be reduced.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help! i broke my macbook screen, replaced it, and now its extremely dim!! | Macbook Lcd Ribbon replace »