New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP 17" Mid-2009 Model - Unibody Battery Indicator Falls Inside

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dutchbuddha

dutchbuddha is on a distinguished road

The issue: when pressing the battery light indicator the button falls into the case. For those still confused I am talking about this:

Alright my issue is with the Battery Light Indicator on my Macbook Pro 17" Mid-2009 model. As I am unable to find any reference of this issue anywhere I figured I'd post it here for future reference.

Upon opening up (disassembling) my MBP for the first time and removing my hard drive (which is on the side of that indicator) I found that the only thing holding that button in place is a GLUED metal strip which has the green LEDs on it... but for some reason the glue has stopped doing it's job.

Temporary Solution: (for now) I stuck a match between the hard-drive and the metal strip with the LED's... not great for shock resistance but at least it keeps me from losing the button entirely (or it damaging things inside).

This design flaw sucks - paid 3K euro for my MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Glue? Mine are held on by 3 screws!

I doubt it's a design flaw, but more of a user's disassembly flaw!
QUOTE Thanks
August West

August West is on a distinguished road

I never even knew the battery check button or LED's existed until this post LOL.
QUOTE Thanks
dutchbuddha

@idrinorbarsaku
Thank you for your reply. However your thesis seems invalid.

The 3 screws you see are not there to hold the metal plate in place or screw it to something solid like your MBP unibody shell. They merely hold the electronics (LED, buttons sensor) on that metal plate.

Further more the metal plate in question was already loose/disattached from the unibody before disassembly - a feet very difficult to do if it where screwed on.

There appeared to be what I'd call glue resedue (in whatever form) above and below the LEDs.

The dis-assembly was done after studying Apple's hard drive replacement guide as well as watching several Youtube of guys doing the same thing - and studying some picks online.

I will see if I can upload some pics early next week.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

If you say it is exactly as you say, then why don't you just return it back to apple and be done with it?!
QUOTE Thanks
dutchbuddha

Two reasons.

Foremost I am the ultimate lurker - but when a problem I am experiencing results in 0 relevant hits in Google - I feel it's my responsibility to post it somewhere for the next person to find.

Further more as a business user losing my laptop for x period of time equals x in revenue loss. It's not a critical issue just an annoying one.

And yes I will visit the nearest Apple Care center and see if they can fix it for me. However having my laptop sent up and down the repair center is not an option.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Well, adhesive failure by itself isn't a design flaw.. it's a component flaw. ie... the adhesive itself. We use adhesives in all sorts of products, without it most (and this includes laptops) would be significantly larger and heavier. Personally, I'd have reglued it.. but that's what a repair facility would have done.

btw, I think people would be surprised as to the items that are mostly assembled with adhesives, rather than mechanical fasteners or even welds these days.. this includes the vehicles you're in daily

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
dutchbuddha

sweet I am not alone in this universe. but yeah getting some glue and putting together is my plan as soon as the stores open... it's christian sunday... no one-second glue available atm.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook - can't load OS | Stuck at Starting Mac OSX »