New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Sound Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

I have noticed that lately my iBook will startup with the sound muted. Does anyone know why or how to get it to not mute when booting?

QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

If your sound is muted before you turn your computer off then it will stay muted even if you turn the computer off and on again. So just put the sound volume on anything greater than zero before you shut down.

I'm not sure about the g4 iBooks, but this is the case with my g3.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

This is true. There's also scripts that can be run to eliminate that sound, but I doubt you wrote/downloaded one of those. If the sound itself has completely gone, I guess you can run those standard permission stuff or download a program that allows you to select whether the chime is on or off.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice

if i turn the sound on and shut it off and then turn it on, it is muted again.

QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute

Does the same thing happen if instead of logging in as your normal user on startup, you log in as a different user?

QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso
Does the same thing happen if instead of logging in as your normal user on startup, you log in as a different user?
yes...

QUOTE Thanks
muso

Oh, try resetting the PRAM: hold down command-option-p-r on startup.

QUOTE Thanks
muso

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238 in case you haven't done it before.

QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

is there a key i may have pushed while booting up?

QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

ok i just tried holding the S key while booting up. i have sound when i boot up now.

QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

hmmm, nice to know. I actually just did what you did after reading the thread to turn the sound off, I use my PB a lot at school, and I'd rather not forget the sound is on, and have it beeping or making announcement.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 512 or 1GB.... | Finally getting a Powerbook... »