New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

isn't my macbook pro supposed to have a 7 hour battery?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sambam

sambam is on a distinguished road

i got a refurbished macbook pro 15 inch from apple.ca

the specs said that it had a 7 hr battery, this one lasts about 3-5 hours. is this normal for newly purchased items? or should i send it in for a new one

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can't expect seven hours for everything that you do. One can't expect the same battery life from a machine if one day they simply browse the web and encode video the next. What are you doing on your machine when you experience this battery life?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

I bet you have your brightness turned all the way up and like 6 apps open at once, expecting 7 hours of battery life . That's usually the case. Mine is advertised as up to 4.5 hours. If I turn down my brightness to one bar and just have safari open surfing and reading the news in bed, I can get 6 and a half hours. If I'm playing World of Warcraft with iTunes going and Mail and Adium open, I can probably get an hour and fifteen minutes.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Need to read the fine print people. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
sambam

sambam is on a distinguished road

so yeah i had my brightness on full. but other than that i was just browsing the web, nothing serious. i turned my brightness down to about 60% and im gunna leave it to charge now and when i get back home i'll test it out again.
thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
sockeye

sockeye is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd

More proof for the need of a "user replaceable" battery.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Haven't you ever used a laptop/notebook before? Battery life depends on what you run while using it. Having a "7 hour" battery doesn't mean you will have a battery that lasts 7 hours every single time. It means, if you are aware of what you need to do on your computer to get the most out of your battery, you can very well achieve 7 hours of battery life. Also, keep in mind that 7 hours is not the maximum life of these batteries. You can get more than 8 hours out of them if you wanted...you just have to NEED the 8 hours for you to run that long...for most people though, they don't care much about how long, to the minute, their battery lasts...as long as it lasts a good amount of time, and they can get what they need done on it.
QUOTE Thanks
badhabits

badhabits is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD

I've managed almost 10 hours on my macbook pro

That was in clamshell mode though

Though, with the LCD at about 25%, bluetooth turned off, wifi on, keyboard lights off, only running safari, mail, and adium... i have managed over 8.5 hours.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambam View Post
i got a refurbished macbook pro 15 inch from apple.ca

the specs said that it had a 7 hr battery, this one lasts about 3-5 hours. is this normal for newly purchased items? or should i send it in for a new one

thanks!
Compare your laptop battery to an automobile.

If you own an automobile, and it's supposed to get 30 mpg on the highway...that's probably when you are traveling 55-65 mph, on fairly flat terrain.

Now if all of sudden you start driving your auto at 100mph...can you really expect to still get 30mpg on the highway...I think not!

The same logic applies to your laptop. If you "drive" it conservatively...you will get close to the battery life claims Apple advertises...but if you "drive" your Macintosh "like a wild man" (like playing games, watching You-Tube for hours, having screen brightness set high, etc.)...then you will get a much shorter battery time on a full charge.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

lol you will get 7 hours if screen is on dimmest setting and you are just browsing...
QUOTE Thanks
oddtimer

oddtimer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD

you'll only get a full 7 hours of charge if the laptop is off.
QUOTE Thanks
sonspot

sonspot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Need to read the fine print people. >_<"

boooo
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Is this really shocking news to people? I mean, portable batteries have been like this since their inception, and well.. the fine print? That predates even ancient me

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Is this really shocking news to people? I mean, portable batteries have been like this since their inception, and well.. the fine print? That predates even ancient me
I think for most "seasoned" laptop users it isn't new news (or at least it shouldn't be)...but there are always new laptop users (like maybe the OP), who may not understand.

It's sort of like Summer reruns on TV..."If I haven't seen them before, they're new to me!"

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
xxcontender

xxcontender is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" | 250 GB ATA Drive | 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 | OS X 10.6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Haven't you ever used a laptop/notebook before? Battery life depends on what you run while using it. Having a "7 hour" battery doesn't mean you will have a battery that lasts 7 hours every single time. It means, if you are aware of what you need to do on your computer to get the most out of your battery, you can very well achieve 7 hours of battery life. Also, keep in mind that 7 hours is not the maximum life of these batteries. You can get more than 8 hours out of them if you wanted...you just have to NEED the 8 hours for you to run that long...for most people though, they don't care much about how long, to the minute, their battery lasts...as long as it lasts a good amount of time, and they can get what they need done on it.
agreed.

Batman, aka Bruce Wayne, is my favorite electrical engineer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I get data from my external HDD | Macbook 13.3 A1181 »