New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook- Dead logic board. Can I get anything off the hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DCEdwards

DCEdwards is on a distinguished road

I've gotten a new computer and I just want the files off the old Macbook drive. Any way to do this myself? I read something about a cord that allows you to hook it up via USB, but I'd have to remove it. I'd rather not go back and pay the Apple store. Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEdwards View Post
I've gotten a new computer and I just want the files off the old Macbook drive. Any way to do this myself? I read something about a cord that allows you to hook it up via USB, but I'd have to remove it. I'd rather not go back and pay the Apple store. Thanks for any help.
If the logic board is dead...most likely nothing on your MacBook will work. Your best option (and probably only option) is to remove the MacBook's hard drive, and install it into an external hard drive enclosure...then hook it up via USB to your new computer.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sure. You can certainly do it yourself very easily. Just purchase an external USB hard drive case - must be SATA and for 2.5" drives. I've seen cases like that in Fry's Electronics for as little as $9.95. (no frills)

Remove the old hard drive from your dead machine, place it in the case, and attach it to your new Mac. Copy whatever you need to your new machine. When you have all your need, use Disk Utility to erase the drive, format it as HFS+ GUID, and then use it for backup or Time Machine backup on your new machine.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
DCEdwards

DCEdwards is on a distinguished road

Great, thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

For what it's worth.. you can even use the migration assistant to move all your apps

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Corbab

Corbab will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4

The very same thing happened to me about a month ago. Once I got my new computer set up, I moved all my files from the old hard drive (which should be perfectly fine) onto my new computer and reformatted it to use as an external backup. As has been said above, you can get a USB connector very easily.

As far as removing the hard drive goes, that's very simple. I'm not sure how it works on the new Macbooks, but if you have an old (white, removable battery) MacBook, the process is super simple. All you need to do is: 1.) remove the battery, 2.) unscrew the 3 screws you see nearer to the middle of the computer with a mini Phillips head (removing them and the bar they're attached to exposes the RAM cards), 3.) pull out the hard drive using the small tab and, 4.) remove the drive from the mounting bracket with a mini hex screwdriver. You can then attach it to the USB connector and move your files.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« white vertical lines, is it normal? late umbp | Battery question »