New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook G4 - 15" vs 17"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sarends

sarends is on a distinguished road

OK, I have an opportunity to purchase either of these (excellent condition) used Powerbooks - what are the pros and cons?

Choice A - Powerbook G4 Aluminum, 15", 1.67 GHZ, 2GB ram, 80 GB Hard Drive,

Choice B - Powerbook G4 Aluminum, 17", 1.67 GHZ, 2GB ram, 100 GB Hard Drive

They are both running Leopard 10.5 and I can purchase either for $350.

I understand (from my daughter) that they are both in excellent physical condition - theyare available to her as an employee of a large company.

I had a 17" Dell Inspiron a couple years ago and although the screen was nice, it was kinda heavy and bulky and also got pretty hot on your lap.

They are $350 each

thx! Steve
QUOTE Thanks
kirk0221

kirk0221 is on a distinguished road

I have a G4 17" and I really have enjoyed it. It is of course bigger and heavier but I use it at home primarily. Because of the bigger screen I have not felt the need to purchase a monitor. The only thing is it can't run the latest OS or boot up to run windows which I now need. For $350 I would certainly go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarends View Post
OK, I have an opportunity to purchase either of these (excellent condition) used Powerbooks - what are the pros and cons?

These two computers are basically identical (including the price)...except for the display size. So really the only decision is what size screen.

Of course the 17" is bigger & heavier...but also remember the 17" will most likely always be worth more money if you ever wanted to resell it.

You also didn't mention what your daughter will be doing with this computer...whether or not it will be mostly used at home...or be leaving the house daily.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarends View Post

It depends on which release they are.
If one was from the last PowerBook models made, and the other is the previous gen, then the 'newer' one would have the edge since it uses DDR2 RAM, Dual Layer superdrive, has a better screen resolution and marginally brighter display.

Since the 17" only has a 100GB drive, it is very likely the older model.
You would have to find out some more details to see which model the 15" was.

Either way, it is a good price for either machine and either one would be fantastic.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replacement Macbook screen | Macbook pro battery health question »