New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 13" MacBook Pro cleaning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zachwii

zachwii is on a distinguished road

Hi All

I recently purchased a 13" MacBook Pro (around a month ago). I have cleaned it several times but wonder if I may be doing it incorrectly. When I get crumbs, etc in the keyboard, I will use compressed air to blast it out, and then use a paper tower soaked with alcohol and wipe the keyboard and aluminum body clean. It seems to do a pretty good job. Could this be damaging to the notebook though? How do you guys clean yours?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

I wouldn't use the alcohol anymore if I were you, just a damp microfibre cloth would suffice.

I always keep food and drinks well away from my laptop.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur3Mac View Post
I wouldn't use the alcohol anymore if I were you, just a damp microfibre cloth would suffice.

I always keep food and drinks well away from my laptop.
Ditto all round here too. And just be careful with the compressed air too. Being at high pressure there is a very good chance that the crumbs could well be getting blown further in under the keys ??

To get the crumbs off try picking it up and turning it upside down. Truly portable then lol

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
xxcontender

xxcontender is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" | 250 GB ATA Drive | 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 | OS X 10.6.1

i have a moshi keyboard protector, and i just use the wipe that komes with the mac. that's basically it. if you have smudges on your palm area, i suggest using a magic eraser or buying a pam guard or something. ha
QUOTE Thanks
ticedoff8

ticedoff8 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachwii View Post
Hi All

I recently purchased a 13" MacBook Pro (around a month ago). I have cleaned it several times but wonder if I may be doing it incorrectly. When I get crumbs, etc in the keyboard, I will use compressed air to blast it out, and then use a paper tower soaked with alcohol and wipe the keyboard and aluminum body clean. It seems to do a pretty good job. Could this be damaging to the notebook though? How do you guys clean yours?

Thanks in advance
Here's a couple suggestions:
- Get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
- Stop eating with your mouth over the keyboard or typing with sticky jelly on your fingers.
- Stop touching the screen with your sticky fingers.
- Stop worrying about it.

If I have to clean the screen, I use Johnson's Baby shampoo (4 or 5 drops in a spray bottle - NEVER use liquid dish soap) with clean, cold water to clean my screen and case. Use a soft wash rag - like a face cloth - paper scratches the screen. If you like, add about 4 or 5 drops of Simple Green. Alcohol will eat the plastic screen over time.
I also use my air compressor in the garage to blow out the... crumbs (yeah, crumbs is a good description) from my keyboards. Sometimes it blows the key-tops off, but they press right back on. But, the bluetooth keyboard is pretty well sealed, so the ... crumbs... don't get down under.
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
If you like, add about 4 or 5 drops of Simple Green. Alcohol will eat the plastic screen over time.
The OP is talking about a MBP with a glossy screen, which is made of glass, so he would be okay, but I myself don't recommend using any form of alcohol.
You'll be surprised of what you can accomplish with just a damp microfibre cloth

And as for the blowing out the MBP keyboard, don't...
Keep crumbs out of there, as you yourself mentioned above.

QUOTE Thanks
eskimo810

eskimo810 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP Uni. 2.4/4GB/320GB/9600mGT 256MB

Anyone have glasses? Usually they'll give you a liquid, no-streak cleaner which i find works incredibly well on my uMBP. BTW i used the microfiber cloth that came with the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

i agree 100% with eskimo810. That glasses cleaner is a special solution which evaporates quickly, so it is hard for it to run down into your system, and it cleans great.
QUOTE Thanks
KTRIC

KTRIC is on a distinguished road

Just joined, so Hello all

On the subject of cleaning would the likes of Sagrotan cleaner be ok. I use it on my iPhone 3G without any problems and previously on my old Acer notebook.
QUOTE Thanks
hyo

hyo is on a distinguished road

I use magic eraser. I make sure the eraser is squeezed out with barely a wetness and then wipe the computer down. After that, I dry off with a microfiber cloth.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro | Tiger on 466mhz clamshell iBook »