New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 15" MBP Hard Drive... 7200rpm okay now?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Peloria

Peloria is on a distinguished road

Okay, I'm going to finally order my new MBP tonight. However, I'm now torn on the 5400rpm/7200rpm issue with the hard drive.

I'd like to get the 7200rpm one for performance, but I've been reading horror stories from people who bought theirs earlier this summer that have the click/beep/freeze problem. I know Apple released a firmware update to address this, but I don't believe it fixed everyone's issues.

Does anyone know if this issue is in the past for current new MBP purchases? If anyone has bought a 15" with a 500MB/7200rpm drive recently, I'd love to hear your experiences.

If there's a risk of this issue, I may try to stay safe and go with the 5400rpm.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
dmrowley

dmrowley is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.53 Ghz Unibody Late '09 Macbook Pro w/ 500G 7200RPM HD & 2010 iMac 21.5" 3.20Ghz I3 & iPhone 4

I have been running a Seagate Momentus 500G 7200 RPM drive for a couple of weeks now on my new 15"MBP. No Issues !
QUOTE Thanks
Peloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrowley View Post
I have been running a Seagate Momentus 500G 7200 RPM drive for a couple of weeks now on my new 15"MBP. No Issues !
Thanks for your quick reply! Is that Seagate the stock HD that shipped with your Macbook Pro, or did you replace it with that?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Don't pay apple for the hdd upgrade. Replace it yourself - save money - and put the stock hdd in an enclosure and your still ahead of the game !

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
Peloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
Don't pay apple for the hdd upgrade. Replace it yourself - save money - and put the stock hdd in an enclosure and your still ahead of the game !
I'd consider it, except from what I've read MORE people have had issues with the 7200rpm drives they replaced themselves, and if you do have problems Apple is less likely to support since it isn't stock. Besides, for the $50 extra to upgrade via Apple, it would be worth it to me to avoid the hassle.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloria View Post
Thanks for your quick reply! Is that Seagate the stock HD that shipped with your Macbook Pro, or did you replace it with that?
Even if it's the one the stock HDD that shipped with the MBP it would have mostly likely come from the same place. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Even if it's the one the stock HDD that shipped with the MBP it would have mostly likely come from the same place. >_>"

My point exactly. Do it yourself and pick the drive you want not get the lowest bidder.

QUOTE Thanks
Mac Masta

Mac Masta is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g

I bought a 320gb seagate 7200 today, and I returned it for a WD 320gb 5400. The 7200 was not that muck of a performance increase, and the battery life decrease. I went from 6:17 to 4:38 and then back to 6:23. This was on a 13 in. MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm surprised at the two hour difference in battery life from the Seagate 7200 to the WD 5400. I'm running a WD 7200 320 GB drive in my MacBook and have not noticed any difference at all in battery life. You might have gotten a bad or marginal Seagate drive.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Peloria

My main concern, whether I have Apple upgrade it to 7200 or do it myself, is the fact there have been a ton of reported problems with them over the last few months. I'm thinking it might be a less risky idea to go ahead with the stock 5400 and see if I even will need the extra speed.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Masta

Mac Masta is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I'm surprised at the two hour difference in battery life from the Seagate 7200 to the WD 5400. I'm running a WD 7200 320 GB drive in my MacBook and have not noticed any difference at all in battery life. You might have gotten a bad or marginal Seagate drive.

Regards.
Yeah, it could've been a bad HD. It seemed to be a little noisy too, so i just went with the WD.
QUOTE Thanks
knyckis

knyckis is on a distinguished road

Of course, if you are worried you should rely more on statistics than individual experiences, but as far as personal experience go my 320GB 7200 which shipped with my late June MBP 2,8GHz runs very very smoothly as well as silently, and I have had absolutely no problem with it. I went for the 320 rather than the 500 GB, though, since I was a bit worried about the stability of the bigger ones.

Happy as I am with it, though, I must admit that I have been looking with some envy at friends that have installed SSDs (especially the Intel 160GB) on theirs, so if you can do with some smaller size, I would seriously consider it. It is blazingly fast, and completely silent! And, yes, hmm.... **** expensive (I knew there was something....)

//K
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

I am running the WD 7200 320 gig and saw no diff. In battery but huge diff in speed !

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logic board failed; how to recover data | External Monitor + USB Keyboard »