New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - problems starting up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dang69

dang69 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 running OS10.4.?

Need help with getting my iBook G4 to start correctly.
The problem: I hit start and it goes to Apple screen then starts the rotating circle icon. Then it keeps spinning indefinitely. It doesn't make any odd noises, and there is never a question mark on the screen.

Things I've done to diagnose or fix it: 1.I've tried to start in safe mode by pressing shift after I hear the startup chime, no luck, it just keeps spinning.
2. I've started it using the Control+S during startup. That worked, and after typing "/sbin/fsck -fy" it says the "volume HD appears to be ok".
3. I've attached a firewire to my eMac (running OS 10.3.9) and started the iBook in target mode and that worked. I successfully transferred important files.

Where I'm at now: I just want the machine to run again, so re-installing my OS seems the proper course of action. I just don't know how to re-install it in Target mode.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This iBook did have an airport card in it when it started doing this, so I removed it to use in my eMac. I dont know if that has anything to do with it though. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Sarkastik

Sarkastik is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your Startup Volume on your Hard Drive. You need to insert the 10.3.9 startup disk. If you don't have it simply make an appointment at the Genius Bar at any Apple Store. They will fix it for free but may need reinstalling!! I had the same issue. Also get Onyx and Hazel they keep the comp. running smooth.
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

uummm... not so sure that taking it to a Genius Bar and getting it fixed for free will work..

But then again have not taken a system to them that is so far out of service..

Have you done any updates recently? was your iBook running 10.3 Panther or have you
Upgraded it?

I know security updates will cause the first couple of reboots stick on the spinning
circle for a veryyyyyyy long time .. have you just left it for a while to see if it will move?

otherwise yes a re-install may be in order.

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will Not Boot Up | MBP Speeds »