New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - problem with external monitors

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

docpm9913

docpm9913 is on a distinguished road

will do.. it looks cool..

so.. most people just plug in 5 or 6 cables each time with an external usb hub?

right now i have the power, firewire for external disk, video adaptor for external monitor, speakers, usb cable that comes from USB hub (that holds and additional USB external Hard Disk, muiti card reader, keyboard, iPhone dock, etc), so five plugs with usb hub loaded.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpm9913 View Post
so.. most people just plug in 5 or 6 cables each time with an external usb hub?

right now i have the power, firewire for external disk, video adaptor for external monitor, speakers, usb cable that comes from USB hub (that holds and additional USB external Hard Disk, muiti card reader, keyboard, iPhone dock, etc), so five plugs with usb hub loaded.
Earlier in this thread I suggested that: "There is something unique or unusual to your situation..."

I think that the two external monitors you connect/disconnect to on a daily basis between home & work...plus all of the other cables you are connecting & disconnecting...is MUCH more unusual than what the average laptop user does.

If you do decide to get the "Bookendz" dock for your laptop...you sort of need two of them (one for work & one for home)...@ $289 each that's pretty pricey.

Also (in case you haven't considered it)...the docks most likely won't eliminate the "blinking" when you change/plug-in the external monitors.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
docpm9913

Actually.. what you said just convinced me to get ONE docking station for the home.. in the office I only have the power, 1 usb for fax/printer and the external monitor.. that's it. So great solution for not so much considering for what it does. Yes, I understand that it won't solve the multiple monitor problem, but it's a nice solution to all the wires, hubs, plugin's that I got on the side of my computer now for relatively inexpensive. Boy, docking stations use to be MUCH more money.. Sony stopped making them and I bought a "port replicator" for more money, years ago.

Thanks again Nick both for the amazing solution to the monitoring problem... I can't tell you how nice it is to be done with the flickering and how hopeless I was feeling about the problem. No one came close to that solution. And also the docking station.. just what I need.

Hey, while I have your attention.. perhaps you can help me with ANOTHER problem that advanced tech apple support couldn't provide. Here goes.. I LOVE Rotten Tomatoes as movie reveiw site, using them for years... well, I can't get any sound from their trailers. NO PROBLEM with sound for Utube, Isync.. don't know about other websites, but not this one. After checking all my settings, they suggested that I needed a different audio add-on and recommending that I download Adobe Flash. Well, I did, still NO SOUND!!

So.. got any ideas for that??
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks again Nick both for the amazing solution to the monitoring problem... I can't tell you how nice it is to be done with the flickering and how hopeless I was feeling about the problem. No one came close to that solution. And also the docking station.. just what I need.

Hey, while I have your attention.. perhaps you can help me with ANOTHER problem that advanced tech apple support couldn't provide. Here goes.. I LOVE Rotten Tomatoes as movie reveiw site, using them for years... well, I can't get any sound from their trailers.
You're welcome again...I'm glad we found a solution to the monitor issue, and fixed you up with the docking station.

Yes it sounds like a dock at work would not have as much benefit as at home.

As far as the "Rotten Tomatoes" website. I went there myself to check it out...and I can play & hear the video trailers just fine (just like You Tube). I have an older MacBook Pro 17", and I'm running Mac OS 10.5.7.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
docpm9913

ok well you are not quite finished with me yet then bud...

I even called up Apple, put me through higher level tech.. had me download and install Adobe Flash because they thought it might uniquely use another sound app and I STILL can't hear sound on my Mac for that site. Get sound for You Tube, Isync.. but not Rotten Tomatoe!!! (

It's a mystery!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
ok well you are not quite finished with me yet then bud...

I even called up Apple, put me through higher level tech.. had me download and install Adobe Flash because they thought it might uniquely use another sound app and I STILL can't hear sound on my Mac for that site. Get sound for You Tube, Isync.. but not Rotten Tomatoe!!! (

It's a mystery!!
I'm not really sure what can be wrong. I haven't installed or removed anything special from my MacBook Pro...and the Rotten Tomato site trailers run great...with sound!

Maybe you have an application of some sort that is installed on your computer that is having some sort of conflict with the site.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
docpm9913

hmm.. going to have to try other sites with sound and see what's up!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
hmm.. going to have to try other sites with sound and see what's up!
If you were having sound problems with other websites...I would have suggested maybe it was a "setting" or "preference" issue...but a problem with just one website is a bit more complex.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
docpm9913

juuuuuuust one web site as far as I can tell!! And the Rotten Tomatoes site is THE movie web site for me
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If it's only doing it on that site - my first guess is that you have turned the volume all the way down on there. The volume setting is saved in the cookie from one visit to the next. If you've done that, you would get no sound there, but still have sound on every other site you visit.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If it's only doing it on that site - my first guess is that you have turned the volume all the way down on there. The volume setting is saved in the cookie from one visit to the next. If you've done that, you would get no sound there, but still have sound on every other site you visit.
That would be a pretty awesome solution to the problem...and makes lots of sense!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
docpm9913

hmmm.. there may be something to this...

so here is what happened.. I was on the phone with Apple tech who was trying to help me with monitor problem.. when I told him about the web site, he checked his computer and said that on his apple, when he hit that speaker icon, he would get the typical slider with up and down notch for raising and lowering the volume.. .. but when I hit on the speaker.. all that happens is that the sound wave that comes out of the speaker is there or disappears, indicating that the sound is either on or muted... the little square box did nothing when i clicked on it.. so it seemed like i could either have speaker on or off.. but no VOLUME control. the mac guy said he had volume control...

have i taken off the volume control on some cookie so i can't control the volume anymore on the current web page?? and if so, what can i do about it??
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook sleep mode | 0 RPM Fans? Not wonder it's on fire. »