New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Mini display to HDMI to TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iClickPhoto

iClickPhoto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP - 15" 2.66

I have a MacBook Pro from this summer (after the most recent "redesign") with the mini display port on it. I am connecting it to my HDTV.

I had temporarily borrowed a mini display to DVI adapter and plugged it into a DVI to HDMI cable, which went to the TV. Worked just fine.

I bought from Monoprice a mini display to HDMI adapter and used an existing (working) HDMI cable to connect to the TV. Won't work.

The laptop acts like it is connecting (screen flashes) and so does the TV (screen goes blank) but a few seconds later, the TV provides a message that there is no detectable device connected. I've tried it on 2 different TVs, both Sony HD sets, one a rear projection from 2007 and then another brand new LCD Sony TV.

Any idea what the problem may be?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I assume you opened the Displays preference and clicked on 'Detect Displays'?

If you have an Arrangement tab there, put a check in the 'Mirror Displays' box for now. This will give you the 'Displays' window for both monitors. Adjust the resolution and refresh rate for the HDTV as necessary.

If none of this is working, you plug the previous adapter/cable back in and it works, I'd suggest you've got a bad adapter.

Of course make sure the TV is changed to the correct input.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iClickPhoto

iClickPhoto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP - 15" 2.66

I've done the mirror displays and left that off (I want it off as I'll be displaying a different screen on the TV than shows on my monitor). No difference.

I also don't get any of the HDTV resolutions in the display properties on my Mac, they showed up before with the previous connection.

I e-chatted with Monoprice tonight and they too felt I have a defective product. Getting a new one.

If anyone has other advice, please pass it on!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Whether you ultimately want to use mirroring or extended display,

You need to turn on mirroring while you're troubleshooting.

You need access to the display preference window for the external monitor.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dead USB Ports | Basic info how Time Machine works »