New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - So what exactly is the difference?..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oddtimer

oddtimer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD

between the new MacBook and the lowest model MacBook pro besides the enclosure?

Also, you get a bigger hard drive with the MacBook over the pro? why?

So... where is the incentive to pay $200 extra for the lowest model MacBook Pro?
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Don't the Pros still have a backlit keyboard? That might be another difference.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Also, the LED backlighted display.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
oddtimer

oddtimer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD

no, the macbook has the LED back-lite display....
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddtimer View Post
no, the macbook has the LED back-lite display....
Yes, now it does.

Other differences, aside from the aesthetics...

The Pros typically have a much higher quality screen (although I haven't seen the screen on the new MacBooks yet since they just came out today). Also, the Pros have an SD slot and a Firewire port.

Aside from that... not much. Sort of hoping Apple either bumps the specs up on the 13" Pro or lowers the price.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
... Sort of hoping Apple either bumps the specs up on the 13" Pro or lowers the price.
Hopefully both? >_>" I rather have a spec upgrade though.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Backlit keyboard
Firewire
SD slot
Aluminum enclosure

While probably not worth the $200 difference - if I'm buying one of the 2 lower end machines - I'd have to spend the extra cash.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Backlit keyboard
Firewire
SD slot
Aluminum enclosure

While probably not worth the $200 difference - if I'm buying one of the 2 lower end machines - I'd have to spend the extra cash.
yea the new one that was just released has a bigger hard drive in the base model then the pro as well.

im going to try to pick the new unibody white Macbook this week.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by maz94protege View Post
yea the new one that was just released has a bigger hard drive in the base model then the pro as well.

im going to try to pick the new unibody white Macbook this week.
Post pictures and a movie if possible. ^-^"
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Oh, the more things change... the more they stay the same.

I remember this very same question being asked when the iBooks came very close in specs to the 12" PowerBooks.

Linky-poo

The question and answer from then is still the same:
" So is all that worth an additional $XXX? That depends on your needs."

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Volume & Contrast Key(F1-F5) stopped working | Looking for the best value in a MacBook (preowned) for $700-$800 »