New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Loud Crackling Noise From MBP [Sound Clip Included]

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dyaus

dyaus is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and would really appreciate your help on this issue.

My Macbook Pro 15" [2 GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.5.7, 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM] makes a loud crackling, chainsaw-like noise from the upper left part of the keyboard. I think it maybe the fan but I'm not sure.

I've attached an audio clip of the noise:

20091009 175820.m4a - 3.78MB

OR (in case the first one doesn't work)

http://dl007.zshare.net/download/3ce...9%20175820.m4a

How worried should I be? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
DyausPita
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I couldn't get either one of those files to download - it seems the site wants you to register or wait all day for the download to begin. Not good.

However, from your description of the noise and location, it does appear to be fan related. Fan could be loose or the bearings shot. If the machine is still under warranty (Apple care) take it on in. If not, you can try opening it yourself and examine the fan. There are two fans in your MBP so make sure it's the right one.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dyaus

chscag,

Thanks for your reply. The site doesn't require you to register. You click 'Download' and a link appears in 60 secs.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yeah, I waited - no download. Anyway, you might want to check the fans in your MBP. If the machine is out of warranty, open it up and take a look. Go to this website for instructions:

iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dyaus

Thanks. I will look into that right away.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Was able to download - Definitely a fan.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dyaus

Thanks bobtomay.

My warranty expired two years ago. Is there anything I can do before opening the laptop up to know more about this problem? Does the sound correspond to a particular problem with the fan?

Best,
dyaus
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Could just need cleaning.

My own practice, once a fan starts making noises has been to replace it. They're cheap. Too cheap to worry about what is wrong with it.

Check out the ifixit.com link chscag posted above. They have parts and great step by step instructions for most of the parts they carry.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaus View Post
Thanks bobtomay.

My warranty expired two years ago. Is there anything I can do before opening the laptop up to know more about this problem? Does the sound correspond to a particular problem with the fan?

Best,
dyaus
Research how to take your laptop apart! No warranty means you get to become well-aquainted with its inner workings.

But seriously - most problems with fans involve replacement.
QUOTE Thanks
dyaus

UPDATE:

So I can definitely trace the sound to the Left Fan. I installed smcFanControl and noticed that the Left Fan RPM drops to about 600-700 while the Right Fan RPM remains unchanged.

This lasts for a minute or so and the Left Fan RPM suddenly clicks back to normal speeds. There is an annoying buzz from the Left fan but the 'chainsaw' goes away.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth connection problems | help! My Mbp won't turn on! »