New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 2.8ghz vs 3.06ghz

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Batman Bill

Batman Bill is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
I've just found out I can get a rather decent discount on a Mac being a student. I was originally saving for a 3.06 ghz MBP with a 7200rpm Hard drive. I've decided to scrap the hard drive upgrade as a slightly slower hard drive really won't bother me that much. The thing I can't decide on is processor. I currently own an Acer Apsire Windows laptop, with a 2.0ghz Core 2 duo. It seems to handle things pretty well, I guess I can't fault it. What I'm asking basically is will I notice a big difference in the 3.06ghz as opposed to the 2.8ghz one? It's quite a bump in price and unless I'm going to notice it I'd rather not spend the extra money. I've looked on YouTube for some comparisons and found a couple of interesting ones but none that truly show the difference.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You're probably not going to notice a difference between the 2.8ghz and 3.06ghzon day to day activities as long as both have the same amount of RAM..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

A suggestion ..... go for the lower priced 2.8 AND get the fast disk

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Not sure that I would pay the premium Apple wants for a 7200rpm drive, when you can get one and install it yourself for less than $100.

Unless you're doing 3D rendering or any incredibly processor-intensive tasks where the difference of an extra 10 seconds of rending time is worth the price, I can't imagine the need for the 3.06.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
WintersFury

WintersFury is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13 - 2.26 C2D - 9400m - 2gb RAM - 500gb 7200.4 Seagate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Not sure that I would pay the premium Apple wants for a 7200rpm drive, when you can get one and install it yourself for less than $100.

Unless you're doing 3D rendering or any incredibly processor-intensive tasks where the difference of an extra 10 seconds of rending time is worth the price, I can't imagine the need for the 3.06.
I completely agree with that. You can get a 500gb 7200rpm drive for a bit over $100 if you want massive space. I got a Seagate 7200.4 500gb and it cost me about $120 and only lowered my battery life by like maybe 20mins.

And 200mhz on the CPU is nothing. That's only about 7% of the total speed of a 2.8GHz chip. Unless your doing video editing or a lot of gaming you could even go with a slower chip and not notice it.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I'd say the fastest thing you will notice is how quickly that money will leave your wallet=D The difference is not worth it to me, but I know people who have to churn out as much products as possible each day, who's income depends on how many products they can make each day, and are willing to pay for the best money can buy. But for an average person, 2.8ghz is blistering fast on on a macbook pro with OSX! It would be sweet to have a 2.8, but I have a 2.4 and I am as happy as a dude can be
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

hehe, me too...

QUOTE Thanks
Kevin6432

Kevin6432 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2 2GB

Get the 2.8, and order a 7200 RPM HDD off of Newegg and put it in and save yourself a lot of money.

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 3GB ram and 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.
Apple OS-X Snow Leopard / Boot Camp - Windows XP
QUOTE Thanks
5mg3

5mg3 is an unknown at this point

I am in the same pickle, except now I am wondering if 2.66 would suffice!

I wont be using it for 3D rendering, etc but I will be doing lots of DSP on the fly, especially lots of work with live audio!

Would this require 3.06? Would 2.8 be more than enough? Would 2.66 do?

What a pickle
QUOTE Thanks
Batman Bill

Batman Bill is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input guys, very helpful. Just the answers I wanted really. I'm in the UK and the 7200rpm HDD is only 40 (a lot less than the processor obviously) So I think I may aswell upgrade to that.

Like the person above just said, I'm now wondering if I even need 2.8ghz. Though I think I will go for it because it comes with a better graphics card right?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about Power Adapters | MBP DVI now no signal detected »