New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Questions about hard drives in notebooks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5mg3

5mg3 is an unknown at this point

Does anyone have much experience with the SSDs supplied with the new Mac Book Pros?

I have read that they wear down over time by writes. How quick does this happen?

Do the drives have the wear levelling facility? Or, can you get software to make the drive do so?

Best
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

I heard the cells last up to 10,000 writes a piece, enough to last 30-40 years with avg use, but YMMV.

according to this, wear leveling is already in place with the SSDs that Apple sells, so despite Mac Pros being listed, I'm certain the technique is in the MBPs as well.
QUOTE Thanks
5mg3

Are the drives (both SSDs and HHDs) hot swapable? Is it easy for a user at home to change the drives without causing any problems?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevin6432

Kevin6432 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2 2GB

I mean.. hot-swapable is probably a bad term to use. You can change them out, but not without a little difficulty. I just upgraded my HDD recently and it wasn't exactly like poppin' in another stick of ram. But you can put in a SSD to replace your HDD without any modification or software change.

Just make sure you go to ifixit.com and print out one of their guides and make sure you have the right tools. And also, if you are going to be doing this soon, when you take off the cable from the drive to the logic board, be gentle. I had to pay 40 bucks and wait a week because I broke my cable trying to get it off the logic board.

Good luck!

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 3GB ram and 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.
Apple OS-X Snow Leopard / Boot Camp - Windows XP
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I would also spend a significant amount of time researching the various SSD models as performance varies widely. The worst thing you could do would be to plunk down $400+ on a drive that makes your system 'stutter' as some of the drives are known to do.

Read this article before you start shopping:

AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Please ensure that you are using the right terminology when asking a question. Hot swappable when it applies to hard drives (either traditional platters or SSD) refers to pulling a live drive out of a running machine and replacing it with another one (or the same one) without it causing any harm to the OS/machine..

Only servers comes with the necessary hardware protection to allow you to hot swap a drive at any time. Desktops/laptops don't have that protection, so here you're just talking about swapping the drive out..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Kevin6432

Kevin6432 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Please ensure that you are using the right terminology when asking a question. Hot swappable when it applies to hard drives (either traditional platters or SSD) refers to pulling a live drive out of a running machine and replacing it with another one (or the same one) without it causing any harm to the OS/machine..

Only servers comes with the necessary hardware protection to allow you to hot swap a drive at any time. Desktops/laptops don't have that protection, so here you're just talking about swapping the drive out..

Regards
Can't you do it with the current Mac Pro?

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 3GB ram and 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.
Apple OS-X Snow Leopard / Boot Camp - Windows XP
QUOTE Thanks
5mg3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I would also spend a significant amount of time researching the various SSD models as performance varies widely. The worst thing you could do would be to plunk down $400+ on a drive that makes your system 'stutter' as some of the drives are known to do.

Read this article before you start shopping:

AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ
I was thinking of getting my Mac configured with one of Apples SSDs. Do we know what models Apple use/supply? Are they good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post

Regards
Well I did mean hot swap until you have corrected me! I read somewhere the new MBP had a hot swapping facility! Sorry!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mg3 View Post
I was thinking of getting my Mac configured with one of Apples SSDs. Do we know what models Apple use/supply? Are they good?
Every person I've seen on this forum that has one factory-equipped has been happy with it. And no, I'm not sure what brand/make/model they are.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
5mg3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin6432 View Post
Can't you do it with the current Mac Pro?
Yeh, I thought so too! Cant remember where I read this, will have a look around.

Can anyone enlighten?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Yeh, I thought so too! Cant remember where I read this, will have a look around.

Can anyone enlighten?
Yes, the Mac Pro has hot-swappable drive bays. Note that this is the desktop machine, not the MacBook Pro.

QUOTE Thanks
5mg3

If you install/change the drive or upgrade memory DIY, does it effect your warranty or Apple care at all?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Every person I've seen on this forum that has one factory-equipped has been happy with it. And no, I'm not sure what brand/make/model they are.
According to cwa's article, Samsung provides the SSDs for Apple.

SSD article section with Samsung
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina View Post
According to cwa's article, Samsung provides the SSDs for Apple.

SSD article section with Samsung
Oops, that's right. It's been awhile since I read that article.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
If you install/change the drive or upgrade memory DIY, does it effect your warranty or Apple care at all?
No. They are considered user-upgradeable parts (although that wasn't the case with the previous generation machines).

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook 13 inch not charging. | So i'm officially ticked off... »