Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2009
    Posts
    7
    Question Questions about hard drives in notebooks
    Does anyone have much experience with the SSDs supplied with the new Mac Book Pros?

    I have read that they wear down over time by writes. How quick does this happen?

    Do the drives have the wear levelling facility? Or, can you get software to make the drive do so?

    Best

  2. #2

    deus_ex_machina's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 06, 2004
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,713
    Specs:
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
    I heard the cells last up to 10,000 writes a piece, enough to last 30-40 years with avg use, but YMMV.

    according to this, wear leveling is already in place with the SSDs that Apple sells, so despite Mac Pros being listed, I'm certain the technique is in the MBPs as well.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2009
    Posts
    7
    Question HDDs and SSDs (Hot swapable?)
    Are the drives (both SSDs and HHDs) hot swapable? Is it easy for a user at home to change the drives without causing any problems?

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Feb 10, 2008
    Location
    Dallas, but school in Arkansas
    Posts
    92
    Specs:
    15" MBP 2.2 2GB
    I mean.. hot-swapable is probably a bad term to use. You can change them out, but not without a little difficulty. I just upgraded my HDD recently and it wasn't exactly like poppin' in another stick of ram. But you can put in a SSD to replace your HDD without any modification or software change.

    Just make sure you go to ifixit.com and print out one of their guides and make sure you have the right tools. And also, if you are going to be doing this soon, when you take off the cable from the drive to the logic board, be gentle. I had to pay 40 bucks and wait a week because I broke my cable trying to get it off the logic board.

    Good luck!
    15 inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 3GB ram and 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.
    Apple OS-X Snow Leopard / Boot Camp - Windows XP

  5. #5

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,887
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I would also spend a significant amount of time researching the various SSD models as performance varies widely. The worst thing you could do would be to plunk down $400+ on a drive that makes your system 'stutter' as some of the drives are known to do.

    Read this article before you start shopping:

    AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  6. #6

    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,503
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Please ensure that you are using the right terminology when asking a question. Hot swappable when it applies to hard drives (either traditional platters or SSD) refers to pulling a live drive out of a running machine and replacing it with another one (or the same one) without it causing any harm to the OS/machine..

    Only servers comes with the necessary hardware protection to allow you to hot swap a drive at any time. Desktops/laptops don't have that protection, so here you're just talking about swapping the drive out..

    Regards

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Feb 10, 2008
    Location
    Dallas, but school in Arkansas
    Posts
    92
    Specs:
    15" MBP 2.2 2GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Please ensure that you are using the right terminology when asking a question. Hot swappable when it applies to hard drives (either traditional platters or SSD) refers to pulling a live drive out of a running machine and replacing it with another one (or the same one) without it causing any harm to the OS/machine..

    Only servers comes with the necessary hardware protection to allow you to hot swap a drive at any time. Desktops/laptops don't have that protection, so here you're just talking about swapping the drive out..

    Regards
    Can't you do it with the current Mac Pro?
    15 inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 3GB ram and 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.
    Apple OS-X Snow Leopard / Boot Camp - Windows XP

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I would also spend a significant amount of time researching the various SSD models as performance varies widely. The worst thing you could do would be to plunk down $400+ on a drive that makes your system 'stutter' as some of the drives are known to do.

    Read this article before you start shopping:

    AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ
    I was thinking of getting my Mac configured with one of Apples SSDs. Do we know what models Apple use/supply? Are they good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Please ensure that you are using the right terminology when asking a question. Hot swappable when it applies to hard drives (either traditional platters or SSD) refers to pulling a live drive out of a running machine and replacing it with another one (or the same one) without it causing any harm to the OS/machine..

    Only servers comes with the necessary hardware protection to allow you to hot swap a drive at any time. Desktops/laptops don't have that protection, so here you're just talking about swapping the drive out..

    Regards
    Well I did mean hot swap until you have corrected me! I read somewhere the new MBP had a hot swapping facility! Sorry!

  9. #9

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,887
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mg3 View Post
    I was thinking of getting my Mac configured with one of Apples SSDs. Do we know what models Apple use/supply? Are they good?
    Every person I've seen on this forum that has one factory-equipped has been happy with it. And no, I'm not sure what brand/make/model they are.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin6432 View Post
    Can't you do it with the current Mac Pro?
    Yeh, I thought so too! Cant remember where I read this, will have a look around.

    Can anyone enlighten?

  11. #11

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,887
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mg3 View Post
    Yeh, I thought so too! Cant remember where I read this, will have a look around.

    Can anyone enlighten?
    Yes, the Mac Pro has hot-swappable drive bays. Note that this is the desktop machine, not the MacBook Pro.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2009
    Posts
    7
    Warranty/Apple Care
    If you install/change the drive or upgrade memory DIY, does it effect your warranty or Apple care at all?

  13. #13

    deus_ex_machina's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 06, 2004
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,713
    Specs:
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Every person I've seen on this forum that has one factory-equipped has been happy with it. And no, I'm not sure what brand/make/model they are.
    According to cwa's article, Samsung provides the SSDs for Apple.

    SSD article section with Samsung

  14. #14

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,887
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina View Post
    According to cwa's article, Samsung provides the SSDs for Apple.

    SSD article section with Samsung
    Oops, that's right. It's been awhile since I read that article.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  15. #15

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,887
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mg3 View Post
    If you install/change the drive or upgrade memory DIY, does it effect your warranty or Apple care at all?
    No. They are considered user-upgradeable parts (although that wasn't the case with the previous generation machines).
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about hard drives and RAM when it comes to Logic Pro X
    By Gunzar in forum Music, Audio, and Podcasting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 07:31 PM
  2. larger/faster drives for notebooks only in europe?
    By coolbreeze in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
  3. External Hard Drives for iMac/ WD MyBook Questions..
    By Geardaddys in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 07:13 AM
  4. Some questions about gaming, boot camp and hard drives
    By DrQuincy in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 03:32 AM
  5. Some questions about gaming, boot camp and hard drives
    By DrQuincy in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 03:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •