Cracks in Macbook: covered by warranty?
    I have a late 2008 white Macbook still covered by warranty. I have treated this laptop well, but it's developed a small crack at the top edge, screen side in the plastic, and at the bottom left where your left wrist sits. They're little slits of plastic that fall off.

Is this covered by warranty? Thanks you for any replies.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by how its animals are treated.

-Mahatma Ghandi

Specs:
    -->
    I am pretty sure that I have seen threads on here that state this is a known defect and Apple is taking care of it. You may want to do a search and find the specific thread that talks about it to be sure.

Thanks so much for the response JohnCL. Any idea how they would take care of it? Do i bring it in and they replace the whole enclosure?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by how its animals are treated.

-Mahatma Ghandi

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Yes, it is definitely covered by the warranty. Just schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store and they'll take care of it. I took mine in a few months ago for the same problem and they replaced it in just 15 minutes. However, this was just the keyboard area. It might take a bit longer for you since you also have damage in top edge.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    I had damage on the palm rest areas. They replaced the keyboards and track pad too. Took 45 minutes. It was pretty busy so it wasn't that bad.

Does anyone know how long this is good for? Is it only for those that are still under applecare? I've got an old 1.83 Core Duo mb that I bought a few months ago that has the same issue. I'll drop it off next time I'm close to an Apple store if they're covering it for all.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by dave421 View Post
    Does anyone know how long this is good for? Is it only for those that are still under applecare? I've got an old 1.83 Core Duo mb that I bought a few months ago that has the same issue. I'll drop it off next time I'm close to an Apple store if they're covering it for all.
    We had a thread a few days ago where I found a couple articles that said Apple was still repairing cracked cases on MacBooks even though the laptop no longer had Applecare on it.

So contact your local Apple store, and see what they say.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information