New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air - MacBook, MacBook Pro or Windows PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SweetCars

SweetCars is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and its because I wanna buy a new laptop and I'm interested to have more info on the MACs.

Well the same question as other asked when they were at the same stage of me...MAC or PC?

Well what I really want a do with the computer is a lot of office work: PDF, Excel, Word, Comptability, Photoshop and Ingeneering program like 3D CAD.

I little bit of gaming but its not my priority.

The points that attracts me for the MAC are:
-Everybody says you dont have problem
-Faster than a PC
-Beautifully made
-High quality screen

Well I see the for 1200$, I can have a PC 2 times more performance (4go RAM DDR3, 2.2ghz, 250go 7200rpm, 1024mo video Nvidia D
GeForce 9600, has 4USB, SD card slot, 16" screen...)

MACBOOK 1150$ (2.13ghz, 2GO RAM (ext. to 4go) 120go 5800rpm, 2USB, 13", 256mo video GeForce)

PRO 1400$ (2.26ghz, 2GO RAM (ext.8go) 120go 5800rpm, 13" 256mo video GeForce)

I want to choose between those 3. Beside the aluminium case, the PRO and the standard MACBOOK are the same beside 2.13 and 2.26ghz, and the battery 5 vs 7hours. So for 250$ I dont think it worths it.

What your opinion between those 3.

Thanks for your help!

Kenny
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Depends on the CAD program. Some, like ProE and Catia v5 can be had in Windows and "nix" variants, but not specifically ported to OS X. I have a pal who runs Catia v5 via Bootcamp and he swears it runs just fine, even with DMU studies.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

PC=personal computer
mac's are personal computers
dells are personal computers
I can't stand it...
What "pc" are you referring too?
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
PC=personal computer
mac's are personal computers
dells are personal computers
I can't stand it...
What "pc" are you referring too?
Wow, pretty clever - no one has ever pointed that out before. You are really smart.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCars

lol...you know what I'm talking about. A computer which doesn't have the Apple in it and when you start it is written in big WINDOWS!!lol
QUOTE Thanks
southchatham

southchatham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2006 macbook, 2009 mac mini

imho when some one is comparing specs to specs at cost levels their not ready to make the switch. Their is more to it. When your ready you will know it.
QUOTE Thanks
Dougiebaby

Dougiebaby is an unknown at this point

Hi Kenny,

Unfortunately, I do not know what specs 3-D CAD requires, so I can not make a recomendation between the PC vs. Mac. However, if you are considering the two Macs, I believe the MacBook Pro 13 is far superior to the MacBook. Not only do you get the aluminum housing, 7 hour battery and faster processor, but...

DDR3 RAM (MacBook Pro) vs. DDR2 RAM (in the MacBook)
backlit keyboard
a trackpad that utilizes multi-touch gesters

To me, these features are definitely worth the extra $250.
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCars

Good, I didnt know about the DDR3 and DDR2 in MACs...thats something important to know.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

OS X itself is worth all the money.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
OS X itself is worth all the money.
I second this! I believe osx is a more user friendly device when it comes to storing files such as image and other data that you will be editing. So, to me, osx along with the unbelievably great trackpad will do it for me...no matter what the competition is! Did I miss what the "pc" is called? Is it an HP?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dead pixels on an aluminum macbook (april 2009) | Macbook 2.4 Unibody Upgrade to 4gb? »