New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Do I need to upgrade to a desktop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdhvanc

jdhvanc is on a distinguished road

I've got a 17" Macbookpro 4/320gb/4gb ram/7200rpm/2.5ghz running on snow leopard. Bought it in late 2008.
I'm having some serious clocking and slowness issues lately and I'm wondering if I need a faster computer or just more ram.
I use the laptop primarily for editing photos in Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop. I shoot in raw so I'm working with photos that are huge in size (5600px X 3800px / 30m-80m per image)
I also design large albums and books so often have multiple images open at the same time. My Lightroom catalogue can have up to 40,000 images in it at one time so pretty heavy. What I'm getting is a lot of delays when working with these applications, and even when just working with safari......lots of watching the spinwheel on the screen and waiting...wasting major time.....I often have multiple applications open like safari, apple mail, itunes, photoshop, lightroom, numbers & pages, etc. I've ran a few cleaning apps but have seen very little change.

I'm thinking of upgrading to 8gb ram but I'm wondering if that will help?
Perhaps my laptop cpu isnt enough for what I'm doing. Maybe I need to be working off a Mac Pro instead of a laptop...? Was looking at the 8 core and would love to have 16gb of ram. Is it worth it? I do work with a bit of video as well, but not often.

any thoughts? suggestions? is the 6K pricetag for a 8 core pro and hd screen worth it for what I'm using it for?

any input would be appreciated!
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

How full is your hard drive?...if it's like 80-90% full, that will slow things down.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
DanFlan

DanFlan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.

I think that 8GB of RAM would be suitable for your situation. 16 might be a bit of overkill.

"60% of the time it works, every time."
- Brian Fantana
QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

crazypotatos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD

Personally, if I was doing that much editing I would buy a Mac pro.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Another vote for the Mac Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
DanFlan

DanFlan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypotatos View Post
Personally, if I was doing that much editing I would buy a Mac pro.
Yes. Unless you desperately need the portability of a notebook, go all out for the Mac Pro.

"60% of the time it works, every time."
- Brian Fantana
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power management issue | G4 Won't Boot »