New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Optical Out

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drummerguy626

drummerguy626 is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook Pro (early 2008) and I was wondering if there is a Driver / Program that lets you output 8 channels over the ADAT Optical. I know it will do Stereo by default. Not having to haul an Interface around would be nice.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

AFAIK you'd need something like this to still only use the digital audio jack on the MBP. Apart from bussing a FW or USB interface.
QUOTE Thanks
drummerguy626

i have the cables, i guess u didnt understand my question.

my question is; is there a driver or program that lets u send 8 channels of audio thru the macbook pro's optical output?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

link to Apple thread

The port is fully capable of sending it. Any program that plays multi-channel content will funnel it through. Playing a movie in Quicktime for instance that's encoded in DTS 7.1 will send 7.1 off to a receiver, if that's where it's going.
QUOTE Thanks
drummerguy626

I know it is fully capable, and my point is that i dont want to only be able to send encoded 5.1 or 7.1. i want to be able to send 8 channels of audio / receive 8 channels of audio in to Logic, or send 8 channels of audio from Q-Lab via the optical out of my macbook pro.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguy626 View Post
I know it is fully capable, and my point is that i dont want to only be able to send encoded 5.1 or 7.1. i want to be able to send 8 channels of audio / receive 8 channels of audio in to Logic, or send 8 channels of audio from Q-Lab via the optical out of my macbook pro.
Are you recording 8 channels (i.e. drum recording such as overhead, kick, snare, toms) into the MBP? If so, what are you using to go from say XLR to the port?

I take it you haven't had luck running 8 channels into Logic. Personally I haven't know anyone to run Logic, Cubase, DP or Pro Tools without an interface.
QUOTE Thanks
drummerguy626

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina View Post
Are you recording 8 channels (i.e. drum recording such as overhead, kick, snare, toms) into the MBP? If so, what are you using to go from say XLR to the port?

I take it you haven't had luck running 8 channels into Logic. Personally I haven't know anyone to run Logic, Cubase, DP or Pro Tools without an interface.
all i wanted to know is if there is a program or driver that switches the optical out from SPDIF to ADAT.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It will automatically output multi-channel from a source that has multi-channels.

No, there is no way to output more channels than the source you are playing. If playing a DVD with 5.1 for example, it will output the 5.1 signal to an appropriate device. There is no manual manipulation of the driver required, nor is there any available that I'm aware of.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro, 15 v 17" - and Hello! | Macbook Pro Hard-drive constantly empty! »