New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MacBook Pro freeze when copying from USB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

racerxnyc

racerxnyc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

I have a one year old MacBook Pro running snow leopard.

I was trying to transfer some files from my old WinXP PC to my MacBook using a USB thumb drive. I transferred a few batches of files OK. Then while trying to transfer another batch the Mac completely froze.

The progress bar stopped moving, and the 'beachball' icon stopped spinning. The keyboard and mouse stopped responding too. The power button wouldn't reboot the system.

I had to remove the battery to power down the system.

Restarting the system, it froze on the gray screen.
Restarting a second time, it froze on a partial desktop.
Restarting a third time, it finally booted all of the way.

Question: Is my system now littered with 'garbage files'?

If so, what do I do to get rid of them?

Can I do anything to ensure the OS files aren't corrupted?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Instead of worrying about "garbage files" you should try to resolve the "freeze" problem first. Run the Apple Hardware Test on your MBP before doing anything else. See this Apple KB article to learn how.

The "freezing" could be hardware related but it could have also been caused by software. However, freezing is usually caused by hard drive or graphic processor problems.

If your computer is still under warranty or Apple care, you might think about making an appointment with the genius bar and have them check your MBP out.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
racerxnyc

racerxnyc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

I went to that page. It says "insert the appropriate disc into the optical disc drive, then restart."

Do I put in my original OS disk, or the SnowLeapord upgrade disc?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook super drive | My macbook won't boot to CD »