New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 13" screen replacement - normal macbook one work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrdogcat

mrdogcat is on a distinguished road

Hi

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro yesterday featuring a cracked screen in the view to buy a replacement screen.

Just noticed though that there are very few if any 13" MacBook Pro screens around on Ebay...there are loads of 13" MacBook ones though!

My question is, will a 13" MacBook screen work in a MacBook Pro, and are they manufactured with the same screens to start off with?

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
Andy007

Andy007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)

Ok I might be wrong here, so anybody please feel free to correct me.....

The new age Macbook Pro screens are in fact glued to the lid, therefore you would need to replace the whole top half of the notebook, not just the screen. There are a couple of companies out there that will do just the screen replacement for you, but they charge a fair whack for the service, as its very tricky to do. There is a link in another thread for this, unfortunately I cant remember which one!

Also, the Macbook screen is LCD and the Macbook Pro is LED, giving it far greater saturation and clarity, my guess is you wouldn't want to replace the screen with one of lesser value and quality, I know I wouldn't unless I had no choice.

Hope this helps in some way!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy007 View Post
Ok I might be wrong here, so anybody please feel free to correct me.....

The new age Macbook Pro screens are in fact glued to the lid, therefore you would need to replace the whole top half of the notebook, not just the screen. There are a couple of companies out there that will do just the screen replacement for you, but they charge a fair whack for the service, as its very tricky to do. There is a link in another thread for this, unfortunately I cant remember which one!

Also, the Macbook screen is LCD and the Macbook Pro is LED, giving it far greater saturation and clarity, my guess is you wouldn't want to replace the screen with one of lesser value and quality, I know I wouldn't unless I had no choice.

Hope this helps in some way!
You are correct. It's more than just a screen replacement anyway, since the inverter has to be matched up to the screen it was meant to be used with.

Your best bet would be to replace the entire lid and be done with it. Otherwise, you're looking at a wild goose chase.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mrdogcat

Hi, thanks for your replies.

So the MacBook Pro's have LED screens instead of LCDs. There are 13" replacement LED screens for the MacBook AIR laptops. Are these the same? (see link below)

Original 13" MacBook Air LED Panel Display LCD screen on eBay (end time 11-Nov-09 03:49:38 GMT)

Thanks again.

PS. Just been told that the laptop isn't a MacBook Pro, it's a Macbook Unibody (what's the difference?)
Apple Serial Number Info // Decode your Mac's serial number!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

My previous advice still applies. You can not usually match up disparate display panels with inverters and their associated cabling. Replace the entire screen with an equivalent part or you're looking to go down the rabbit hole.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mrdogcat

Sorry for pushing the question

What about this one? It's actually for the MacBook 13" Unibody

APPLE MACBOOK UNIBODY LED 13.3" SCREEN - LP133WX2-TLC1 on eBay (end time 19-Oct-09 09:46:25 BST)
QUOTE Thanks
Andy007

Andy007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)

Although it seems like a good deal, Id be wary of that if I were you.

As mentioned, the Macbook screens are LCD. They are advertising that screen as LED and there isn't any guarantee it will connect up with your model.

Also be careful that they are advertising its compatibility with other brands too, Apple have a history of keeping things unique to their own products, therefore the likelihood that you could just buy any LED screen to fit in as a replacement is minimal.

You asked the difference between Macbook and Macbook Pro. Well if we look at just the 13" group, the Macbook doesnt come with firewire 800, has a different processor speed range to choose from, it uses DDR2 RAM -of which can only be upgraded to a maximum of 4GB RAM (Pro is 8) and the already mentioned screen difference too.

Nothing too major, but still enough for some people to make a choice.

Hope this helps.

Andy
QUOTE Thanks
mrdogcat

Thanks for the reply Andy. I'll ask the guy I buy from if it'll work and check he'll give me a refund if it won't work...also check it's an LED screen too.

About the screen manufactures though, Apple won't manufacture screens themselves but use third party companies like LG etc (like many monitors and TVs do)

I'll ask before I buy...or at least remove the screen to knock out the dent on the lid (caused buy it sat under a chair leg or something) which caused the problem in the first place and re-sell
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New 13" Macbook Pro | Temp is around 120F at idle!! »