vat
    Marks on the screen over time
    Hi all! Just got my 12 BP!

A few questions for you all:

1. My friend has her PB for several months and she is using this thin polystyrene sheet between the screen and the keyboard every time she is closing the PB. She says that the button of the track pad is leaving a mark on the screen over time. Can any of you confirm that? It seems very uncomfortable to drag that sheet all the time.
    2. How can I leave the PB running but close the cover at the same time?
    3. My office uses a windows network with a domain. How can I connect to that domain with my user?

Thank you all!

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    1. I know that some older PowerBooks left keyboard marks on the screen after a while, but I'm not sure if that still applies to recent one's. It's one of the downsides of the very slim design.

2. You can't. The PowerBooks use the keyboard for cooling, and there's a high risk of overheating when running it with a closed lid. That's why it always goes to sleep when closing the lid.

3. Your network administrator should be able to give you the necessary information you'll need to setup your network connection.

I use this on my PB, works great..Also can clean the screen with it..
    http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx

Specs:
    17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
    Quote Originally Posted by jram
    I use this on my PB, works great..Also can clean the screen with it..
    http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx
    I also use the Screensavrz by Radtech. It also doubles as a screen cleaner because of the soft material its made of, very much worth the money.
    Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.

Specs:
    12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic
    Quote Originally Posted by rberry88
    I also use the Screensavrz by Radtech. It also doubles as a screen cleaner because of the soft material its made of, very much worth the money.
    I just bought it too. I agree, it is very worth it.
    Cristal
    What do you know if you don't know yourself?

Specs:
    15" Ti PB G4 867MHz 1GB RAM 10.4.6
    Quote Originally Posted by vat
    My friend has her PB for several months and she is using this thin polystyrene sheet between the screen and the keyboard every time she is closing the PB. She says that the button of the track pad is leaving a mark on the screen over time. Can any of you confirm that? It seems very uncomfortable to drag that sheet all the time.
    I wish I knew about that sheet a LONG time ago, my screen is ruined. The entire keyboard is on my screen.

Plus there are little colored blips all over the place too. You have to have all the lights in the room turned off to see them, but they are there, I notice them when I use PS7.

Selling (2) 256MB SDRAM PC133,144pin Original Samsung Memory for Powerbook G4,
    Modules used since purchase on 7/27/02 until I removed them on 11/13/03, PM me for details.

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5.0
    I wish I knew about that sheet a LONG time ago, my screen is ruined. The entire keyboard is on my screen.

Plus there are little colored blips all over the place too. You have to have all the lights in the room turned off to see them, but they are there, I notice them when I use PS7.
    Those are "stuck pixels"...which aren't caused by the keyboard, even in the most extreme of circumstances.

However on that topic, I too use the Radtech screen protector. It also doubles as a screen duster. I refuse to close my Powerbook without it.
    Roger Michaels
    Apple Certified Consultant

Cloudane
    2. You can't. The PowerBooks use the keyboard for cooling, and there's a high risk of overheating when running it with a closed lid. That's why it always goes to sleep when closing the lid.
    True for the iBooks I believe, but not for the Powerbooks. PBs vent their heat out of the back. It's perfectly possible to run a PB closed - you close it, plug in a monitor keyboard and mouse then press the spacebar on the keyboard and it'll wake up. I've done this several times with no overheating Doesn't work on the iBook afaik, as you say because those vent out the keyboard.

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane
    True for the iBooks I believe, but not for the Powerbooks. PBs vent their heat out of the back. It's perfectly possible to run a PB closed - you close it, plug in a monitor keyboard and mouse then press the spacebar on the keyboard and it'll wake up. I've done this several times with no overheating Doesn't work on the iBook afaik, as you say because those vent out the keyboard.
    Thanx for the info, I thought it was for PowerBooks too

titan0111
    hmm...i though iBook has a vent on the back too...

Jefe3223
    Um...heat leaves the back some, but mostly from the bottom and the keyboard/hand resting area. If the iBook screen is up, then the back (as I differentiate bteween the bottom and the back), then the back is blocked by the screen. Either way, definantly bad to run the ibook w/ the lid closed.

Thread Information