New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Mini Dvi/USB to HDMI..no sound

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

finsup

finsup is on a distinguished road

So I just got my mini dvi/USB to HDMI cable from monoprice. They were great fast shipping, etc.
Any back to my issue. I hooked up my macbook pro 13" with Snow Leopard i figured out how to use the dual screens but only sound i could get was from the mac not the TV.
I must be missing a setting somewhere.
Please help.
THanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Ok folks one more time. The MacBook pro does not handle hdmi nativly. Which means you need to also patch thru audio also.

The search feature is your friend.

Good luck and I hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
finsup

finsup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
Ok folks one more time. The MacBook pro does not handle hdmi nativly. Which means you need to also patch thru audio also.

The search feature is your friend.

Good luck and I hope this helps
Thanks but not a real help. I did state i have the mini dvi/usb to hdmi connector, and i thought it was a setting.

I found my answer on Monoprice.com webpage under the reviews of the product i bought.

I may be new to this forum but not forums, and not reading the question fully and jumping to conclusions is not helpful, and yes we all know google, but sometimes you get a better faster answer from knowledgeable, helpful people on forums, that is what they are for. But i guess i found my own answer no thanks to the first poster.

I hope this forum is helpful in the future.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light

You are correct. I miss read / didn't see " USB " sorry about that. Didn't mean to offend.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

That's a nice cable there to combine both audio and video. Glad you got it working.

For those in the future that see this. Here is more info, since we get a lot of these.

The following video ports on your Mac, or any other PC you may have, do not carry sound and will never carry sound.

VGA
mini-VGA
DVI
mini-DVI

A cable with any of the above as a part of its name also do not and will never carry sound.

Connecting a HDMI cable (that can carry your sound) to one of these ports does not somehow magically enable it to carry sound.

The following ports on your computer:

DisplayPort
mini-displayport

According to the specification have the capability of carrying audio/video like HDMI. However, as of the date of this post, the audio portion has not been implemented on any computers that I have seen. So, you're still out of luck here. Those that have begun using this port include Apple, Dell, Asus and others.

So, this means you still need a separate audio cable to get the audio to your TV or AV receiver.

One option for those with the mini-displayport is the following cable to combine audio and video from your Mac into HDMI.
For only $33.60 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting Adapter | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapter

finsup: if you have a link for the mini-dvi/usb to HDMI, that would be a help for others also.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Great info Bob. Maybe make it a sticky?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I've been threatening to do one for two years I think.

Need to finish it, but things keep changing so fast - like that new cable from Kanex and now monoprice.

QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

Very nice bobtomay.
QUOTE Thanks
Haura

Haura is on a distinguished road

"The following video ports on your Mac, or any other PC you may have, do not carry sound and will never carry sound.

VGA
mini-VGA
DVI
mini-DVI

A cable with any of the above as a part of its name also do not and will never carry sound."

Hi

I'm kind of new in this forum things, so I didn't get the quote thing to work properly.

Anyway, I was seaching arround for the best solution to hook up my new MacBook Pro to my HDTV when I came over this thread. I know it is a bit of the case, but when I kept on seaching, I came over this little feller:
The Kanex iAdapt HDMI V2

I was just wondering, since you, bobtomay, seems to know alot about this DVI and mini-DVI stuff, and I don't, if this is the bomb, or if it's just a bomb?

Is it possible that a mini-DVI port, that not and never will cary sound, now do?

Best regards
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haura View Post

Is it possible that a mini-DVI port, that not and never will cary sound, now do?

Best regards
No, it's not possible. DVI and mini-DVI do not and will not carry audio.

That adapter you have linked to is for a "mini displayport", not "mini-DVI". They are not the same thing. Hence it's name: "mini displayport to HDMI adapter".

Yes, the adapter you have linked to will carry audio - if - it's connected to a port that supports audio. As I noted in the second half of the above post - that the displayport specification provides for passing audio, there are indeed some computers out since that post was made that do indeed pass audio and video through their displayport or "dp" / mini displayport or "mdp".

Whether your Mac has the ability to carry audio or if it even has a mdp on it, I don't have a clue. You will need to provide more info than "my new MacBook Pro". Sorry, but I've had folks tell me they have a "new MacBook Pro" when the model they just bought was 1-2 years old.

So, if you would like a specific recommendation for adapter/cabling for your Mac, or even if the adapter you have linked to will work with your Mac, you must provide the info requested in the following thread:

Connecting your Mac to your TV

QUOTE Thanks
daryluke

daryluke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
That's a nice cable there to combine both audio and video. Glad you got it working.

For those in the future that see this. Here is more info, since we get a lot of these.

The following video ports on your Mac, or any other PC you may have, do not carry sound and will never carry sound.

VGA
mini-VGA
DVI
mini-DVI

A cable with any of the above as a part of its name also do not and will never carry sound.

Connecting a HDMI cable (that can carry your sound) to one of these ports does not somehow magically enable it to carry sound.

The following ports on your computer:

DisplayPort
mini-displayport

According to the specification have the capability of carrying audio/video like HDMI. However, as of the date of this post, the audio portion has not been implemented on any computers that I have seen. So, you're still out of luck here. Those that have begun using this port include Apple, Dell, Asus and others.

So, this means you still need a separate audio cable to get the audio to your TV or AV receiver.

One option for those with the mini-displayport is the following cable to combine audio and video from your Mac into HDMI.
For only $33.60 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting Adapter | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapter

finsup: if you have a link for the mini-dvi/usb to HDMI, that would be a help for others also.

I have a macbook 4,1 "edition". Will the cable you suggested above work on my computer to connect to a yamaha receiver with hdmi, or do i have to use separate cables for video and audio. thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook HDD choice | Macbook Pro Overheat »