New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Buying Opinion - Powerbook vs MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TiffanyR

TiffanyR is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking I may try to upgrade my laptop as my main objective is to get CS4 right now but I have a friend who is selling his MacBook Pro for $900. What's your opinion as you would know better what Macs can handle? My main problem is speed especially with CS programs and I do need a new battery. I have a PowerPC G5 Dual with a large glossy screen for my most intense work that I can do from home. But I like to have a laptop that I can take on the road for working on projects. It's mostly for Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign. So no animation or gaming purposes.

I have:
Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,9
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.5f3

His computer:
2.16 ghz Core 2 Duo Processor
3 GB RAM (Newly upgraded)
320 GB 7200rpm HDD (Newly upgraded)
Dual Layer Superdrive (DVD and CD recorder)
15.4" 1440x900 Widescreen Glossy Display
128MB ATI x1600 Video
DVI-VGA adapter Cable
Apple Wireless Remote
Brand new battery

It includes OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard, iLife 09, and iWork 09, all part of the "Mac Box Set," so this is all legal software.

The original box, discs and documentation are all included.

The condition of the system is excellent with one minor exception - there seems to be a very slight bend in the casing underneath the expresscard slot. One of my photos shows it.

Do you think it's doable with what I have (and what could I do?) or should I go with the newer MacBook and save myself the headache? What's the main difference with the computers?

Thanks everyone!
Tiffany
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I didn't see any photos or a photo link.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Go with the new MB and I bet this is want you really want to do eh? Any computer with original packaging, manuals, software etc. has generally been well looked after.
QUOTE Thanks
TiffanyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Go with the new MB and I bet this is want you really want to do eh? Any computer with original packaging, manuals, software etc. has generally been well looked after.
What are the main differences between the two that make the MacBook Pro worth the expense?
QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

crazypotatos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyR View Post
What are the main differences between the two that make the MacBook Pro worth the expense?
The speed of the processor is faster. The processor has 2 cores. It has more RAM. The battery is new. The graphics card is probably better and the hard drive is probably faster and bigger than your current one.

QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

The CPU and GPU are the biggest changes.

The MBP will have intel processors which are needed if you want to run any of the newest software including Snow Leopard.

The GPU is also a big difference.
QUOTE Thanks
TiffanyR

He's offering it to me for $900. Looks comparable to ebay sales form what I've seen...seem like a good deal?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyR View Post
He's offering it to me for $900. Looks comparable to ebay sales form what I've seen...seem like a good deal?
I would say that $900 is a fair deal...especially if it is a local sale, and no shipping required. If you haven't done any negotiating yet, maybe you can get him to knock-off an additional $50!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I'm looking to get a new Mac notebook | 13'' with external monitor and closed lid »