New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Powerbook G4 PRAM battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Klesk

Klesk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66ghz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HD

i'm working on my friend's powerbook G4 that has been acting up on him. First thing I notice when turning it on is that the date and time is set to sometime in the 1970's. My first thought is that the PRAM battery is dead since he said he bought it from a guy who had it sitting around and never used it. I tried to reset the time to see if it would stay the same but it has a password on it and the guy my friend bought it from doesn't remember the password (he is using a guest account). Does anyone know of another way that I could test that the PRAM is the actual problem here without opening the machine up and switching it? Any help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If the date is regularly going back to the 1970s, then you can be pretty sure that the PRAM battery is caput, especially in a machine over 4-5 years old

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Klesk

yeah that is the main symptom but I am not able to change the time because of the admin password that we don't have, so I actually haven't seen it reset the time/date.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Hope you got the system install disc with the PowerBook to change the password and for trouble shooting.
QUOTE Thanks
manymanymacs

manymanymacs is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001

Change the backup battery. Check the Apple website for details (i'm not sure how to do it on a powerbook)
QUOTE Thanks
Klesk

manymanymacs: yeah I found a couple tutorials on it

harryb2448: Your post brings up another question... we have changed the original OS to Leopard 10.5.6 so is that the disk I will use now to diagnose the system? I tried to boot to diagnostics with the OS X disks and was unable... I also booted and held "option" to give me the boot options and all I have is the HD and the OS disk there is no option for diagnostics... any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2009 15" Macbook Pro - Are these iSTAT readings appropriate...? | 320gig 7200rpm or 500gig 5400rpm WD HD »