New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

MacBook Pro - Pointed corner in bottom case drives me crazy, what should I do?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GizmoBlaster

GizmoBlaster is on a distinguished road

I'm a new mac user (windows switcher) and I love a lot of things about my new computer but there's one thing that's driving me crazy: The hollow part in the bottom case, just south of the touchpad, apparently dented there to ease lifting up the top lid cover, has very pointed corners...

As a result, when I put my right hand's palm there to use the touchpad, it tickles me, it annoys me, isssssssssshhhhh, I can feel it all the time while it piques the palm of my hand, grrrrrrr. I'm almost in despair, what should I do?

I dont understans why apple did it that way... bad design decision I think... but now need to find a solution.

A possible solution I considered is smoothing the point with a file, BUT what I wonder is will I end up with a small hole under that area or is there sufficient solid aluminium that I can file it a bit without opening a breach?

- Another possible solution would be to find something in rubber or plastic that could fit there, but without gluing the computer... Cushiony duct tape would do it but it would be inelegant and disgusting. Plus, that option will prevent my mac from closing completely.

Do other users have the same problem and found some creative solutions?
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

I'v been trying to simulate the situation as you described, and I couldn't do it.
At least, putting my hand there and using the trackpad.

my palms touch the MBP approx. 3" from each side, and don't even come near it.

QUOTE Thanks
GizmoBlaster

GizmoBlaster is on a distinguished road

You might have been in a typing text position. I was referring to how my hand is when i'm using the touchpad for an extended period of time. Then my palm is hanging just over the open hollow i'm referring to and I think you'd have to have quite crooked hands to be moussing without feeling that tickling spot :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Mundungus

Mundungus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 Mid 2010

I agree those corners are absurdly sharp, but they never affect my typing or touchpad use. I think you should be very careful filing them. The amount you'd have to file off would probably leave holes and kill the beauty of this laptop.

I always believed that being a Cubs fan built strong character. It taught a person that if you try hard enough and long enough, you'll still lose. And that's the story of life. -Mike Royko
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I have tried every possible way to do this, but honestly, I have to swipe my hand sideways for it to hurt or be annoying. I think filing it would be a bad idea, though I haven't taken the time to see how much aluminum there is. Also, this unis are sand-blasted, doing anything else but additional sand-blasting will make it UNBELIEVABLY noticeable! I wish you the best of luck though!
QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

I like those pointy little corners.

Get a fingernail file and smooth them off. Shouldn't take much to get rid of the point.
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoBlaster View Post
You might have been in a typing text position. I was referring to how my hand is when i'm using the touchpad for an extended period of time. Then my palm is hanging just over the open hollow i'm referring to and I think you'd have to have quite crooked hands to be moussing without feeling that tickling spot :-)

No... I was mousing.
And FYI, I love my crooked hands, they go places normal hands can't... just kidding man

If you think it's annoying get rid of the tickling spots.

QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

I've noticed these corners as well as the edge of the front of the MBP is pretty sharp corner and when resting my wrists/arms on it to type, I sometimes get a red line from where the edge has been touching my arm. As for the points near the mousepad, I've noticed but to be honest I use a wireless laptop mouse and never need to bother with it. However, I think it's a little strange that you rest your palm exactly underneath the trackpad and not on either side which would seem more comfortable to me. I agree with idrinorbarsaku in that if you do anything to the MBP it will be very noticeable. Maybe you can try getting a laptop mouse or a small bean bag type of thing to set there over the points when using it. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro (late 2006) work with FCS6? | Left Click = Right Click? »